Once again, this is a bit different from my other "ten favorite" posts because I can't provide a synopsis of people the way I can for films. So I've listed the first movie I saw them in, my favorite movie of theirs, and my favorite role they played. And again, I've linked their names to the post labels for them, so if you click on one of their names, it will take you to all the posts I've written that involve that particular actress. Finally, I've linked movie titles to my reviews of them where applicable.
1. Maureen O'Hara. I think the first movie I saw her in was The Rare Breed (1966), as a preteen. My favorite movie of hers is Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation (1962), and my favorite role of hers is probably Maggie McKendrick in The Parent Trap (1961).
2. Emma Thompson. I first saw her in Sense and Sensibility (1995) when I was a teen -- in fact, I believe that was my introduction to Jane Austen as well. My favorite movie of hers is Much Ado About Nothing (1993), and her role as Beatrice in that is also my favorite of hers.
3. Barbara Stanwyck. The first thing I saw her in was The Big Valley (1965-69), which remains my favorite thing she's in, and her role as Victoria Barkley on it is also my favorite -- I wrote this post a few years back about why I want to be just like Victoria when I grow up.
4. Judi Dench. I first saw her in GoldenEye (1995), and it's funny, but I didn't like her much at first. I was extremely fond of Pierce Brosnan, and she yelled at him a lot, and that made me mad at her character, M. But I grew increasingly fond of her over the years, both M and Judi Dench. My favorite movie of hers is Chocolat (2000), and my favorite character of hers is actually M, especially in Skyfall (2012).
5. Lauren Bacall. I think the first thing I saw her in was To Have and Have Not (1944), though it might have been The Big Sleep (1946). My favorite film of hers is To Have and Have Not, but my favorite role is probably Marilla Hagen in Designing Woman (1957), though it's been a long time since I watched that.
6. Keira Knightley. I first saw her in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999), but my favorite movie of hers is Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), and my favorite role of hers is either Gwyn in Princess of Thieves (2001) or Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice (2005).
7. Myrna Loy. I'm pretty sure The Thin Man (1934) was the first thing I ever saw her in, and Nora Charles in that and the subsequent Thin Man films is definitely my favorite role of hers. But my favorite movie of hers is The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), which I watched for the first time solely because she was in it.
8. Alicia Vikander. The first movie of hers I saw was The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015), which is still my favorite movie of hers, and her role of Gaby Teller in it is also my favorite of her roles.
9. Doris Day. I think the first movie of hers I saw was On Moonlight Bay (1951). But my favorite movie of hers is Young at Heart (1954), and my favorite role of hers is probably Kate Mackay in Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960).
Who are your favorite actresses? Do we have any in common?