Wednesday, July 27, 2022

My Ten Favorite Female-centric Westerns

When you think of western movies, I'm betting you think of stories that revolve around men.  Lone gunmen, groups of men, a man and a sidekick, and so on.  But there are actually quite a few westerns that are centered on women.  

Because people were grappling with life-and-death issues like food, shelter, and enemies trying to kill you in the Old West, they weren't always so caught up on little things like whether women should own and run businesses, boss men around, make decisions, choose their own husbands, defend themselves, own and work the land, and so on!  Hollywood has often used that reality to help tell stories about women that might not be suited to other time periods, including the ones they were making the movies in.

It may surprise you to find that 7/10 of the movies on this list were made before the year 1970.  Strong Female Characters might not be as recent a phenomenon as you've been led to believe.


Anyway!  Here they are :-)  Titles are linked to my reviews where applicable.

1. The Rare Breed (1966)

A British widow (Maureen O'Hara) and her daughter (Juliet Mills) accompany the prize bull they've sold on its way to its new owner (Brian Keith) with the help of a determined cowhand (James Stewart). I've seen this so often, the characters all feel like dear old friends.

2. The Quick and the Dead (1995)

A woman gunfighter (Sharon Stone) enters a quick-draw contest because she believes it's her best chance to avenge her father being murdered by a former outlaw (Gene Hackman).  This movie has one of my absolute favorite Russell Crowe characters in it, but the movie really belongs to The Lady.

3. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)

A woman (Jane Powell) marries a man (Howard Keel) she just met that same day, and she's excited about the prospect of keeping house for just the two of them, back up in the mountains where he lives.  He fails tell her he has six brothers back home that he expects her to cook for too, and she is less than amused when she finds out. Trust me, this retelling of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is funnier than it sounds. Also, it has gobs and gobs of awesome dancing.


Penelope Worth (Gail Russell) might not be quite an angel, but then again, Quirt Evans (John Wayne) isn't quite a bad man either. Her Quaker family takes him in when he's wounded, and he does everything in his power to make sure they don't regret that decision even though he's pitted himself against some pretty desperate characters.  Of all the movies on this list, this is the only one where you could argue that the woman isn't the central character, but Penny is so pivotal that I really think it counts.

5. Australia (2008)

A determined Englishwoman (Nicole Kidman) and a drifting Drover (Hugh Jackman) struggle to save each other and an orphaned Aboriginal child (Brandon Walters) in Australia's Outback during World War Two. This is the only movie that has ever given me cowboys and WWII soldiers in the same story.

6. True Grit (2010)

A fourteen-year-old girl (Hailee Steinfeld) hires a crotchety US Marshal (Jeff Bridges) to track down the man who murdered her father, and insists on accompanying him on the quest.  I love the unusual flavor of this movie's dialog, which comes straight from the book by Charles Portis.  You can read my review of the book here.

7. Calamity Jane (1953)

A completely fictional story revolving around Calamity Jane (Doris Day), Wild Bill Hickock (Howard Keel), and a big mix-up involving a famous singer who is supposed to come to Deadwood, but doesn't.  My favorite thing about it is that Calamity Jane's character arc doesn't involve her gaining a husband by giving up her "outrageous" behavior of wearing buckskins and trousers, shooting at outlaws, and guarding stagecoaches.  Instead, she finds love with a man who appreciates who she already is, not who she could become.

8. Cat Ballou (1965)

Cat Ballou (Jane Fonda) comes home to her family's ranch just in time to witness her father's murder by the notorious (and noseless) Tim Strawn (Lee Marvin).  She straps on a gunbelt and sets out to avenge him, eventually gathering up an outlaw gang of comically inept ne'erdowells, including washed-up gunfighter Kid Shelleen (also Lee Marvin).  This is a wacky, wild movie, but I like it.

9. The Redhead from Wyoming (1953)

A beautiful woman (Maureen O'Hara) arrives in town and starts running a saloon and buying cattle, all at the behest of a former lover (Alexander Scourby) who is trying to start a range war between the big cattle barons and the smaller farmers and ranchers.  A new sheriff (Alex Nicol) stands up against him, and the woman has to choose which side she'll support because the townsfolk like her so much, they'll follow her, not either of the men.

10. Westward the Women (1951)

One hundred and forty women travel west in a wagon train to find new husbands.  On the way, they learn to hitch horses to wagons, shoot and hunt, ford rivers, and generally protect themselves while surviving.  It's one of the most realistic portrayals of a wagon train that I have seen.


You'll notice that four of these are currently part of my Legends of Western Cinema Week giveaway, just in case you want to get a chance to own and watch them for yourself!  And, yes, this top ten list has been one of my contributions to this year's LOWCW shindig.


If you enjoyed this list, you might also enjoy some of my other Top Ten Favorite lists: 


19 comments:

  1. Love this post idea!

    I keep forgetting about The Quick and the Dead, but I'm interested in watching it. Especially since it now has your recommendation.

    I never thought of SBFSB as a Snow White retelling but that makes a lot of sense. xD Such a glorious film.

    Mmm, you've piqued my interest with Westward the Women. I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, oooooooohhhhhhh, I would be really intrigued by your take on The Quick and the Dead. It's such a satisfying film in almost every way. Lots of dealing out justice to those that need to be dealt with.

      I really should watch Westward the Women again -- it's been a few years. I very much recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I think Westward the Women is an amazing movie. The scene where a skeptical Robert Taylor tosses a gun to one of the ladies and she shoots and precisely hits the eye on a poster "Otto Schmidt for Sheriff", then tosses the gun to her companion and that one promptly hits the other eye in the poster is hilarious – her cool question: "That what you meant?", Taylor coolly answering "That's what I meant..." It's a hidden gem of a movie and the grittiest true-life description of the hardships of a wagon train heading west. I wouldn't have lasted one week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, haha! That is probably my favorite scene in Westward the Women. I'm not a huge Robert Taylor fan, but he suits that movie well.

      Delete
  3. This is an excellent list. I'm Very Here for this female-centric content. I still need to watch Australia, I'm rather curious about it.

    Western movies and Western books are both pretty male-dominated, but I'd have to say I think Western movies did a slightly better job including women--especially when it came to telling stories with women as the leads. I've read a heck ton of classic Western novels, and I can think of two or three at most with female protagonists.

    Like, I love you, L'Amour, but WHERE ARE THE WOMEN????? :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, have you read The Cherokee Trail? That has a female protagonist and it's one of my favorite L'Amour books.

      Delete
    2. I have! I didn't find it as memorable as some of his other writing--which made me sad, because it was a really cool premise.

      In general, I prefer L'Amour's first-person novels to his third-person novels, so maybe that had something to do with it.

      Delete
    3. Katie, I think you would find Australia aesthetically pleasing, if nothing else. Also, I'm not sure how anyone can remain unmoved by the sight of Hugh Jackman on a horse. And the ending is so beautiful.

      I'm rereading Zane Grey's The Light of Western Stars right now and enjoying it even more than the first time. Majesty Hammond has such an interesting interior life! And man, Gene Stewart can ride that big grey roan onto my ranch any time he wants. But so far, my favorite western with a female protag (that I didn't write myself, lol) is True Grit by Charles Portis.

      Delete
    4. I really ought to try True Grit--the book, that is. I don't think I could handle the movie (too much violence), but I'm a little less sensitive when it comes to books. And the premise is so intriguing!

      Delete
    5. Katie, definitely try the book! The 2010 movie can be a little hard to stomach, and the John Wayne one has the most horribly miscast actress playing Mattie Ross. Gratingly bad.

      Delete
    6. You think Mattie is miscast in the 1969 version? I love her dearly there, but I haven't read the book, so she's my basis to the role. I liked Hailee a lot in the role, but didn't like Jeff Bridges or Matt Damon, which is the main reason I didn't care for that movie. That and jump scares of stabbing people...

      Delete
  4. Great list! Although, if I were to make one, I'm not sure how I could leave off Barbara Stanwyck's "Forty Guns."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J-Dub -- I've seen Forty Guns, and even though Barbara Stanwyck is one of my favorite actresses, I finished up the movie and was like, well, now I've seen that, and I don't know that I'll ever want to see it again. Just didn't hit my sweet spots.

      Delete
  5. Millie Pontipee is one of my role models!

    The Redhead from Wyoming and Westward the Women both sound really good. Looks like the Internet Archive has WtW, so I'll have to watch it sometime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, well I think Millie Pontipee is one of the best role models there is! She's 100% can-do spirit.

      I think you would particularly like Westward the Women. It's very no-nonsense and practical and inspiring.

      Delete
  6. Nice! I totally forgot about Quick and the Dead somehow! I'd have Barbara Stanwyck's The Furies if I made such a list, and definitely Quick/Dead. Now want to watch it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DKoren, lol! Well, that's okay. I haven't seen The Furies yet. Yet!

      Delete
  7. Cool list! Westward the Women sounds EPIC. I meant to watch The Quick and the Dead, but it left the streaming service I had depended on. Rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chloe! I hate it when streaming services do that. So vexing. This is why I buy any movie I love on DVD or Blu-Ray cuz... if I love it, I want to rewatch it! Hope you can find both of those somewhere, anyway.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)