Sunday, July 17, 2022

Movie Music: Greg Edmonson's "Firefly" (2002-03)

The soundtrack for Joss Whedon's tragically short-lived TV show Firefly (2002-03) is a lot of fun. Composed mainly by Greg Edmonson, the music is a fascinating blend of east plus west, like the show's culture. You've got twangy banjos and ethereal flutes, pounding rhythm and delicate melodies. It's got such a unique flavor, just like the rest of the show.

"Inside the Tam House" offers a good example of the more eastern music, with lyrical melodies from strings and a flute laid over a trickling piano.

"Mal Fights Niska/Back Home" represents what I think of as the classic Firefly sound -- lots of strings and wind instruments and percussion. I like how this one starts a little slow, then switches to a more actiony vibe, because it definitely gives you the feeling of people facing each other, then starting to fight. Around 1:22, it then flips to the more peaceful and gentle "home" theme that makes me feel cozy and happy.

Hands-down, my favorite track on the whole album is "River's Dance." It's joyful and carefree, which the rest of the album isn't, for the most part. Definitely makes me feel like dancing!

I'm so glad that, although Firefly was short-lived, the powers that be saw fit to release a soundtrack to CD, because I have had many hours of enjoyment from listening to this.

If you've never heard this before, what did you think of it?

(This review originally appeared here at J and J Productions on August 21, 2015.) 

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Love this soundtrack. I got the piano music for it. It's a bit above my skill level, but I love it. This is Abby, BTW, it would let me post as myself. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Abby! That's so cool you have the piano music for this! I may have to look for that myself.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)