Thursday, July 14, 2022

My Ten Favorite Biopics

I love movies based on the lives of real people.  Whether they're a little fantastical or strictly factual, I find them fascinating.  Of course, there are many movies based on real people that aren't biopics -- they focus on one event or short period in the person's life.  I think it only counts as a biopic if it either covers most of their life or a big part of their career.  Anyway, that's how I narrowed down my list for this post ;-)


Titles are linked to my reviews where applicable.

1. 42 (2013)

Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) is hired by Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford) to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers, breaking the "color barrier" by being the first black player on a white team.  It's a masterful, respectful, beautiful film.


2. Luther (2003)

Martin Luther (Joseph Fiennes) wrestles with his conscience, Scripture, and the Roman Catholic Church as he slowly comes to terms with the fact that the church needs to be reformed.  A moving portrayal of an ordinary man used by God to do extraordinary things.


3. Beyond the Sea (2004)

Bobby Darin (Kevin Spacey) reflects on his life and career in this mythic musical that tells his story through song and dance.  It's so bouncy and joyful!  Even in the low points.


4. Amazing Grace (2006)

William Wilberforce (Ioan Gruffudd) fights and fights and fights to end England's slave trade.  And he finally succeeds.  A beautiful movie in so many ways.


5. Evita (1996)

Eva Peron (Madonna) climbs Argentina's social ladder any way necessary, eventually becoming its first lady.  This music might get stuck in your head, but that's not really a bad thing.


6. Walk the Line (2005)

Johnny Cash (Joaquin Phoenix) turns anger and frustration into music, falls in love with June Carter (Reese Witherspoon), and finally learns to walk the line.  Masterful performances from both Phoenix and Witherspoon.


7. The Glenn Miller Story (1954)

Glenn Miller (James Stewart) makes music wherever he goes, bolstering the spirits of his family, his friends, and the entire nation.  Mostly a feel-good movie, but not entirely.


8. The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)

Molly Brown (Debbie Reynolds) goes from rags to riches multiple times, surviving gold rushes, bankruptcy, and even the sinking of the Titanic!  This is an irrepressibly fun movie.


9. The Wings of Eagles (1957)

Navy flier Frank "Spig" Wead (John Wayne) is paralyzed in an accident, but with the help of his wife Min (Maureen O'Hara) and many friends, he battles his way back to being able to stand on his own two feet.  So inspiring!


10. Miss Potter (2006)

Beatrix Potter (Renee Zellweger) falls in love, writes stories, paints cute pictures, publishes books, and refuses to let anyone stop her from doing any of those things.  It's a sweet, fun mix of cuteness and determination.

12 comments:

  1. There are a few movies on this list that I want to see, like Amazing Grace and Beyond the Sea and Walk the Line. (Still finding it hard to believe I haven't seen Amazing Grace! I have seen bits and pieces though--I think I was around when my parents were watching it when I was a kid or something.)

    42 and The Glenn Miller Story are both WONDERFUL. The Unsinkable Molly Brown was really fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, I'm pretty shocked you haven't seen Amazing Grace yet, TBH. Watch it!!!! So wonderful. You would probably dig Beyond the Sea too, if only for the fun sixties vibe. Possibly the same for Walk the Line -- it's a much more serious movie than Beyond the Sea, but very good.

      Delete
  2. The Glenn Miller Story was the favorite biopic of my dear father, who sadly passed away this spring. I must have seen it half a dozen times, Jimmy Stewart is just great as the great band leader. My dear dad, who played upright bass in a jazz band in his youth, instilled a love of jazz in me that makes me savor movies like these. (I also enjoyed Amazing Grace and Walk the Line, worth watching.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I'm sorry to hear your father passed away this spring. But that's awesome that he played bass in a jazz band! Wow! That sounds so cool.

      Delete
  3. Amazing Grace was the first movie I ever saw Benedict Cumberbatch in. I have to say, the powdered wig style didn't really flatter him... Great performance though, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it was the first movie I saw Cumberbatch in too -- but I didn't notice him at all, I was there for Ioan Gruffudd :-9 Then I watched it again a few years later, after Cumberbatch got famous from being in Sherlock and it was so fun to see him so much younger there! But yes, not his best look, lol.

      Delete
  4. I watched Amazing Grace again tonight with a friend, after many years. Amazing film, great performances. Showbiz is a rollercoaster – while handsome Ioan Gruffudd, leading man in the biopic, had some career slumps, Benedict Cumberbatch, "working actor" for quite a long time, shot to fame as a revamped 21th c. Sherlock four years later and is now a global superstar... I agree about the powdered wig style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, how cool that you rewatched it again just now! I love Ioan Gruffudd -- he's one of my favorite actors, but he definitely has had more success on the small screen than the large. I love him the most in the Horatio Hornblower movies, and also the show Forever. Plus, his Fantastic Four movies were really fun :-)

      I do like Cumberbatch's version of Sherlock Holmes, and he was wonderful Hamlet a few years ago. I don't love his MCU character, Dr. Strange, but Cumberbatch is very watcable there too.

      Delete
  5. Bioics can really flush out a person's history and story. 42 was really well done! Been awhile and need to rewatch it. From your list, Amazing Grace is only favorite movies!! Watchedany times. The music, acting, all top-notch. I remember being surprised Cumberbatch was in it. ;)

    Literally watched Molly Brown in the last month or so. Laughed quite a bit at her antics.
    Under the Sea and Evita sound amazing. Might see if library has them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pages to Remember -- yes! Bringing a person to life onscreen can really help make them understandable and relatable.

      That's so fun that you just watched Molly Brown so recently :-) Hope you can find the others and give them a try!

      Delete
  6. 42 and Amazing Grace are such excellent films. And as you know, Evita may very well be my favorite musical. So, so good.

    The Unsinkable Molly Brown is on my to-watch list! I think I'll like it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, I think you would get a kick out of Molly Brown. It's quirky, but so upbeat.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)