Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Ranking Alan Ladd's Movies by Favorite

(This is from Lucky Jordan)

Since I just reviewed one of Alan Ladd's movies very recently, I decided to do something a little different to celebrate his birthday today.  I'm arranging all 32 of Alan's movies that I have seen in order of how well I like them.  I've reviewed 29 of those here, but have watched three others only once each -- I want to watch them a second time before I review them, as is my wont.

Like my Ten Favorite Lists, this is arranged by my own personal preference, not by which of his movies I think is objectively the best.

You might notice that my top ten list is slightly different from the list of my Ten Favorite Alan Ladd Movies that I shared back in 2017.  Part of that is because I simply hadn't yet seen some of these movies when I made that list.  And part of it is because my affections have shifted a little after many rewatches.  I should probably make an updated Ten Favorites list for him!

1. Branded (1950)
2. Shane (1953)
3. And Now Tomorrow (1944)
4. The Blue Dahlia (1946)
5. The Great Gatsby (1949)
6. Whispering Smith (1948)
7. China (1943)
8. Calcutta (1946)
9. Red Mountain (1951)
10. This Gun for Hire (1942)

(On the set of Shane)

Movies 11-20 are all extremely rewatchable, I simply haven't felt pulled to rewatch them quite as often as I have my top ten picks.  But they're all solidly enjoyable, and Alan is lovely in them.

11. Captain Carey, USA (1949)
12. Saigon (1947)
13. The Proud Rebel (1958)
15. Saskatchewan (1954)
16. The Glass Key (1942)
17. Drum Beat (1954)
18. O.S.S. (1946)
19. Santiago (1956)
20. Hell on Frisco Bay (1955)

(With his son David Ladd on the set of Saskatchewan)

Movies 21-25 are all really good too.  I'd say the top twenty-five of my favorites are films that can be enjoyed by basically anyone, whether they're an Alan Ladd fan or not.  They're all-around good stuff.  Movies 26-32 might be a little less so... but I've seen two of those only once, so they might move up on this list after another watching.

21. Chicago Deadline (1949)
22. The Iron Mistress (1952)
23. The Big Land (1957)
25. Lucky Jordan (1942)
26. Botany Bay (1952)
28. Wild Harvest (1947)
30. Her First Romance (1940)

Alan has minor roles in The Light of Western Stars, Her First Romance, and Paper Bullets, so it's not shocking that I don't put them high on this list.  He's undeniably the star of One Foot in Hell, but if you read my review of it from a week or so ago, you'll see that it's an unpleasant movie.  I can appreciate it, but I don't like it, so it goes at the bottom.

31. Paper Bullets (Gangs, Inc.) (1941)
32. One Foot in Hell (1960)

(This is from Her First Romance)

Happy birthday, Alan Ladd!  <3

8 comments:

  1. I knew I could count on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came back to say I managed to arrange my life so that I got to rewatch The Glass Key on the 3rd, and it was absolutely worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VT, that's awesome! I ended up watching my new Saigon Blu-ray, which was such a treat :-D

      Delete
  3. Oh dear. I forgot again. Shame on me... And just when I'm re-reading Beverly Linet's Ladd biography... And just when I watched the Redford version of "Gatsby" with my film buff friend and we compared it to the Alan version... I'm so sorry, but belated happy birthday, dear Alan Ladd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, well, I don't think celebrating a little late is wrong ;-)

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)