Saturday, September 14, 2024

"Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves" (2023)

This movie surprised me over and over and over.

I first watched Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023) about a year ago on an airplane.  My kids all play D&D, and my son is even in a teen D&D group at our local library.  Most of the other teens in that group saw this movie and praised it, so he really wanted to see it too.  But I'm pretty cautious about letting my kids, even my teens, watch movies I haven't seen before, so I told him I'd need to see it first.  I meant to get it out of the library sometime, but then we flew out to visit my parents last fall, and this was one of the in-flight movie options, so I figured, why not?

This movie made me laugh out loud.  Repeatedly.  On an airplane.  It was so smart, so funny, so delightful, that I just couldn't help laughing with glee over it!  I tried to be quiet, but I'm pretty sure I startled my seatmates more than once.  (My kids were all in a row ahead of me, where I could keep an eye on them, but I was sitting by strangers).


D&D: HAT centers on Edgin (Chris Pine), a wryly charming thief who escapes from prison with his best friend, the potato-obsessed warrior, Holga (Michelle Rodriguez).  They set off to rescue Edgin's daughter Kira (Chloe Coleman), who was left alone when Edgin and Holga were imprisoned after a heist gone wrong.  They discover that Kira is being raised by their erstwhile pal Forge (Hugh Grant), who has somehow managed to become lord of the land.  Forge has been lying to Kira, saying that Edgin doesn't love her, abandoned her on purpose, and so on, because he wants to raise her as his own daughter.  He tries to have Edgin and Holga killed, but Holga is not the sort of person who is killed easily.


Edgin and Holga escape and put together a small group of people willing to help them rescue Kira, including a magician with confidence issues named Simon (Justice Smith) and a shapeshifting rebel named Doric (Sophia Lillis).  They try to figure out how to steal Kira away from Forge, but end up uncovering Forge's sinister plot to destroy the whole kingdom.  In order to save Kira, they have to save the kingdom too.

And, lest my kids yell at me, I need to also mention Xenk (RegĂ©-Jean Page), a mystical former warrior who dispenses gifts and advice in the most literal and hilariously dead-pan way possible.  I probably laugh more over Xenk's scenes than all the rest.

I have seen this movie at least five times now, and it delights me every time.  The storytelling is incredibly smart, one of those stories where every piece slots right in where it needs to.  Things that seem random at the beginning are shown to be important later.  It's like one of those pretty 3-D crystal puzzles where you slowly see the whole story take shape and appreciate it more and more as you get to see how things fit together.  

And yet!  The movie also feels like this could be a D&D campaign with a bunch of people making the story up as it goes along.  The dialog is simultaneously witty and sharp and funny, yet also feels like things people would say because they think their character will sound cool saying them.  That is an incredibly tricky balance, but they pull it off.  

Also, although I laugh a lot over this movie, there is a part at the end that always makes me cry, too.  It's not just all funny hijinks.  This movie centers around relatable, individual relationships.  Parents and children.  Friends.  Husbands and wives.  That's what forms the core for the film, which is really what elevates it above the usual slash-and-bash sort of fantasy films, for me.


The whole film totally works for someone like me, who hasn't played D&D (though I do have a general sense of how it works).  But my kids, who do play D&D, love it on a whole different level.  They're always explaining to me how most of what's in the movie comes straight from the game, like owlbears, gelatinous cubes that dissolve people, a coin that lets you talk to dead people, and so many other things.  I love that this movie is able to stand on its own, work for dedicated fans of the game, and ALSO gently spoof fantasy movies, all at once!  Wow.


Oh, and one other thing I love?  The unabashedly platonic friendship between Edgin and Holga.  They are a wonderful team, but they've never been in love, nor do they fall in love during this adventure, nor are they likely to ever fall in love in the future, and they are both totally happy with that.

Is this movie family friendly?  Well, it has quite a bit of bad language.  There's a bit of rude humor (mostly from the reanimated corpses in one very funny section, which are a bit gross) and some very, very subtle innuendo here and there.  But there's no smut, there's only a hint of possible romance between two side characters, and the violence is all quite stylized and fantastical and unrealistic.  All three of my kids have seen this repeatedly, and they are ages 12+.  It's a great movie for teens and more mature tweens.


This has been my contribution to this weekend's Barbarians at the Gates blogathon co-hosted by myself here at Hamlette's Soliloquy and by Quiggy over at The Midnite Drive-In.  

8 comments:

  1. You already know how much I love this movie but I've got to talk about it again. The friendship between Edgin and Helga gives me LIFE. My favorite thing about this is how epic all of the fantasy elements are but the real heart is FAMILY. Never doesn't make me laugh and cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe, I mean, their friendship is so REAL, isn't it? I love every single interaction between Edgin and Holga. Holga is my favorite character in the film, over all, and the way Edgin just... is there for her, and she's there for him, and they absolutely trust each other but give each other crap all day long -- it's so real.

      Man, what a good movie.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a lot of fun! I rarely watch movies, but this might be one for me to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxann, you know, I think you would have a lot of fun with this. Especially since you read a lot of fantasy -- the way they take familiar fantasy storytelling elements and either subvert them or flip them or twist them would have you in stitches, I bet. Let me know if you do end up watching it!

      Delete
  3. I loved reading this and it's a great movie. Hugh Grant really looking like he was having fun, and it seems like everyone else did too. Thanks for this fun blogathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gill, YES! Hugh Grant is very obviously having the time of his life. He's filled with glee in every scene :-D And everyone else is having a blast too. I LOVE movies where the cast are clearly enjoying themselves and just invite you to watch the fun.

      Thanks for joining!

      Delete
  4. It makes me so happy to know you enjoyed this movie, too! I had a delightful time with it. And I know very little about D&D lore, so I was impressed that it was written in such a way that it was easily intelligible and enjoyable to someone like me, while still pleasing the hardcore fans like my brother. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, yes! I cannot get over how intelligently this is written, and how smoothly it works for D&D players AND those of us who haven't played. I mean, what a tricky balance.

      This is one of this super rare movies that my husband isn't adverse to rewatching. That says a lot, too.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)