Thursday, July 27, 2006

Well, Mom has left us. We took her to the state line last night and pawned her off on Johnnycake and Dimples :-D

We had a really good time this past week. We watched lots of movies, visited ED and saw the store she wants to buy, made and ate lots of good food, played the piano and sang our favorite songs... it was delightful!

Our movies had two themes this visit: M. Night Shyamalan and Dana Andrews. Yeah, Dana's a pretty inevitable theme, since I've become such a fan of him over the past year. We watched three of his movies: Ball of Fire, The Best Years of Our Lives, and Laura. And we listened to two eps of his radio show, I Was a Communist for the F.B.I. I think I've instilled a good appreciation of Mr. Andrews in my mother now.

M. Night Shyamalan, on the other hand, was kind of a serendipitous theme. I'd touted his movies to Mom for the last couple of years, and she'd agreed long ago that she'd like to see Signs some time, since she really likes Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix. And the day Mom arrived last week, I was at the library and Signs just happened to be in. So I grabbed it, and it was one of the first things we watched. She adored it! So much so that we decided to go see Lady in the Water when it opened on Friday. And we both liked it a lot too. Since Night's movies are very ruinable, I won't say much about it except that the one word I think describes it the most is: poignant. Anyway, after that, Mom really wanted to see something else by Night, so we rented The Sixth Sense on Monday (she got very brave all of a sudden and chose it over The Village and Unbreakable). And whaddaya know? She liked it too!

And now it's time for me to settle back into normal life with Cowboy. And get some more sleep. I have much too much fun when Mom's here, and tend to short myself an hour or so of sleep every day. But it's worth it :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)