Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Still More Period Drama Tag

We've finished month three of the Period Drama Challenge!  Here are my answers to Miss Laurie's questions for this month:

1. What period dramas have you watched in March?

Pride and Prejudice (2005), Jack the Giant Slayer (2013), "The Man with the Twisted Lip" (1986), and Laura (1944).  That brings my grand total to 11!  I originally signed up to watch 10, but since I've surpassed that, I'm now aiming for the 12-15 bracket.

2. How many adaptations of Jane Eyre have you seen? Do you have a favorite?


I've seen almost 3.  I've watched the 1983 version many times, the 2011 version once, and I'm almost done with the 1997, which I'll be reviewing here soon.  So far, my favorite is definitely the 1983, starring Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke.

3. Do you prefer period drama villains who are cleverly cunning or downright diabolical?


I think cunning, as diabolical villains are less interesting.  Someone who's just evil for the sake of being evil doesn't have much depth usually, but a cunning villain can be fascinating.

4. How often does watching a period drama make you want to read the book it's based on?


I'd say about 90% of the time.  (I'm assuming you mean, "If I haven't already read the book.")  If I didn't like the story line or characters, then I'm not usually interested in reading the book.

5. What older period drama would you like to see a remake of?


We can never have enough Hamlets, can we?  I myself own 8 different versions (and have seen 3 or 4 others), but we haven't had a new major motion picture version since 2000.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen almost every version of Jane Eyre... since this is one of your favorite books..... you need to see the 2006 mini series! It is hands down the best Jane Eyre adaptation on the planet! (In my not so humble far too decided opinion.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! It looks like it's available on YouTube, which is where I've been watching the 1997, so if I ever finish that one, I'll try the 2006! When I do my review of the 1997, please comment with your own thoughts on it so we can discuss :-)

      Delete
    2. Okay! Will do! I might have to re-watch as it's been awhile!

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)