Friday, March 06, 2015

MEMM Day 13 - Favorite battle

The Battle of the Five Armies.  It goes beyond epic into almost a surreal, dream-like realm of battle, which I kind of think is what a real battle would feel like.  "This isn't over yet.  We have to keep fighting.  Just stay on your feet and keep fighting."  Like with Helm's Deep, this battle leaves all the characters exhausted and spent, and I'm the same way.  Unlike Helm's Deep, though, it's not kind of the same thing over and over -- there's more variety with all the different fronts.  It feels more personal too because you have Thorin squaring off with Azog again, Legolas taking on Bolg again -- these are major showdowns we've been needing to see because the movies have built up to them for so long.  So I find the whole battle very satisfying on a storytelling level too, because it brings so much completeness to the story.

Also, it's more heartwrenching than the other battles, for me, because characters I really care about die. Sure, major characters died in other battles,  Theoden, for instance.  Haldir wasn't a main character, but I was sad to see him fall.  But never so many or with such emotional results.   (Do I need to say SPOILER ALERT at this point?  The DVD isn't out yet, so maybe I should.  Spoilers through the end of this paragraph, okay?)  Although I haven't yet cried when Fili and Kili die, I do feel that emotional gut-punch, and Thorin's reaction to seeing both his nephews fall is agonizing.  And then, of course, when Thorin dies and Bilbo cries... wow.  Words don't do it justice.


8 comments:

  1. You know, the sole reason I went with Helms Deep and didn't pick this one was because the actual full-on "battle" section between massive armies in this movie is so short, and everything that makes it so amazing about it was all the individual pocket fights, which didn't count to me as a full-on battle. But if those are considered the "battle," then this is 100% my favorite battle of any movie ever made, EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the individual fights all work together as a cohesive whole, so I consider it all to be one big battle.

      I was kind of annoyed after two separate viewings for TBOTFA when people walked out saying, "That was good, but there was way too much fighting." DUDE! What do you expect from a movie called "The Battle of the Five Armies"? That's like saying "The Battle of the Bulge" had too much fighting! What were you expecting???

      Delete
    2. Then, by your definition, I need to change my answer for that one.

      And yeah, what the heck? There is way more time spent in battle in RotK than this one, and I heard no complaints about that one. Possibly more time in Helms Deep as well. The BotFA fight is sooooo short. I can't wait for the extended edition because I need more battle. I want to spend more time with the other dwarves, etc.

      Delete
    3. But you don't have to use my definition!!!!! I mean, we've used our own definitions for other answers in this meme. I'm sure we have. No time at the moment to look for concrete proof, tho.

      Delete
  2. I tear up just thinking of Thorin's death. I realized after I watched the movie that in The Return of the King, Sam points out to Frodo that the eagles are coming, and Frodo lives. In BOTFA Bilbo tells Thorin the same thing, but that time it was too late. )-: I have a really hard time choosing my favorite battle. I'd have to say that this one kind of ties with the battle of helms deep for me. (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a beautiful parallel, the more sad because it had a happier response in LOTR.

      Delete
  3. Oh, THE PAIN!!! This battle was so emotional:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. And yet, somehow, I can't wait to watch it again! The 24th can't get here fast enough to suit me.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)