Friday, October 29, 2021

Movie Music: Bernard Herrmann's "Jane Eyre" (1943)

I have only been a fan of the 1943 Orson Welles/Joan Fontaine version of Jane Eyre for about a year.  Very late to that party, I know.  But like it more and more every time I watch it.  You can read my review of it here, and see how it stacks up against other versions of Jane Eyre that I've seen on my comparisons page.  


In this post, I'm going to focus on Bernard Herrmann's score for this film, a score that fits the moody, atmospheric imagery of this adaptation just perfectly.  I'll focus on my favorite tracks, but you can currently listen to a nice recording of this soundtrack on YouTube here.  I have the original motion picture soundtrack on CD, conducted by Bernard Herrmann, but the version on YouTube is enjoyable too.  And, if you want something kind of dark and intense to listen to over Halloween weekend, it's definitely a nice choice for that!

My first selection, "Jane Alone," has a pensive and gentle beginning.  But it turns darker, more passionate.  This piece really evokes Jane Eyre's unhappy childhood, taunted and tormented by her cousins and always craving peace and quiet.  


"Rochester's Past/The Fire" is actually two tracks put together, but they work nicely that way because they're both filled with sturm und drang, as the Germans would say -- storm and stress.  Those are big parts of the Romantic literary tradition that Charlotte Bronte's novel Jane Eyre belongs to, so this fits really well with the story being told.

This music begins with a kind of glowering sadness that matches Rochester's story of his tragic (at least, in his mind) past.  It's not stormy at first, but it has a definite darkness to it.  Then the tension mounts, and around 2:30 into it, the music turns frantic, leaping and darting around in crazy ways that definitely makes you think of fire.  This fits to the part of the movie where someone sets fire to... well, I won't spoil it, but there's fire, there's a rescue, and it's all pretty thrilling.  

I love the way Herrmann uses anxious strings and mournful wind instruments here to let us know what is happening is both scary and sad.


My last selection to share with you today is "The Garden," which is the music from the pivotal scene where Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester first declare their love for each other.  (That's not a spoiler, right?  This is a love story, and we all know it, right?)  It starts out a little bit ominous, but layers that with a sweetness and hope that clue us in to the happiness these two characters are about to glimpse.  But the music never turns altogether joyful, always a little wary and dark even in this happy scene.


So, now you've had a taste of what Bernard Herrmann's score for Jane Eyre is like!  I hope you've enjoyed this little tour.  This has been not only part of my ongoing Movie Music series, but also my contribution to the Bernard Herrmann Blogathon hosted by Classic Movie Muse all weekend long.  Check out her post here for links to the other contributions.


12 comments:

  1. Perfect choice for the blogathon, Rachel!

    From what I gather through Herrmann's biography, he was obsessed with the atmospheric, moody work of the Bronte sisters, having written the opera Wuthering Heights as well. So I believe he would be very pleased at this inclusion.

    I really enjoyed the tracks you chose and will need to revisit this film as its been far too long since doing so.

    Thanks so much for contributing to my blogathon with this great post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muse! I'm so glad you enjoyed this. How cool that Herrmann was such a fan of the Brontes -- I had no idea!

      Delete
  2. Herrmann had a way of drawing attention to the story at the same time he draws your attention to his score. Somehow, the combination creates a rare balance that goes right to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caftan Woman, that is SO true of this score -- I can see what's happening in the film in my mind in a lot of moments, but I also enjoy the music for its own sake.

      Delete
  3. Rachel, I love that you're a fan of the 1943 Jane Eyre. Did you know that Orson Welles first did it as a radio play in the 1930s? And then accidentally ruined his recording when he was prepping for the film? It's one of only 11 of his radio plays from Mercury Theatre on the Air and the Campbell Playhouse that didn't survive! So frustrating!

    The music is absolutely stunning for this film. I've been thinking about it a lot in the last month or so, but I haven't found my DVD copy yet. At least, I think I own it. We just moved house and I still have boxes of movies that haven't been unpacked/found yet. If I don't own it, I'll need to buy a copy.

    On a different, completely random note, I'm having a "Celebrate Jeremy Brett Month" on my blog for November. I would love it if you were able to participate, but if not, that's completely fine. I know how busy you probably are with other obligations and writing. He did "War and Peace" and "My Fair Lady" with Audrey Hepburn, just in case you're not quiiiiiite sure who he is. And of course, Sherlock Holmes in the 80s and 90s. No pressure, like I said, but I wanted to extend the opportunity to you just in case you would be interested. There's absolutely no schedule, I'll just be posting Jeremy Brett related posts throughout all of November. ♥

    P.s. Love that you're reading "Hallowe'en Party!" I finished it last month and just adored it. Fun that it's from the 1960s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carissa, I didn't know he lost that recording! I've heard a radio version of it with him, but I think it was a Lux Radio Theater version, not a Campbell Playhouse. What a sad loss!

      Thank you SO much for inviting me to your Jeremy Brett month! I absolutely adore his turn as Sherlock Holmes, and I'm very fond of him in other things too, particularly Rebecca. I will see what I can turn up! I was so excited to see he played Nikolai in War and Peace, as Nikolai was probably my favorite character in the whole book... and then they cut his character down to nothing for the movie, and I was bummed. Anyway, we'll see what I come up with!

      Hallowe'en Party was fun, but a little repetitive. I finished it today, so I'll be reviewing it soon :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the great post, Rachel. Takes my mind off my actual problems with a very gravely ill father (and other things – "When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions"). And so fascinating that Herrmann wrote an opera "Wuthering Heights" (thanks for the info, Classic Movie Muse) – and I even found it on Youtube. Good to know, since next month the Open University book group I'm leading will start reading "Wuthering Heights". (By the way, does anybody know, is there a movie version of WH which is particularly good? The only one I know is the one with Laurence Olivier.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, oh, I'm so sorry to hear that your father is so sick! And with other things going on too :-( Es tut mir leid.

      I have only seen the Olivier version of Wuthering Heights, but I'd really like to see the Timothy Dalton one, and maybe even the one with Ralph Fiennes and Juliet Binoche... but I'm not a big fan of the story, so I haven't sought them out.

      Delete
  5. Um... *looks around, whispers* I haven't seen this film yet. But your post has moved it to the top of the Must Watch list. Thanks for sharing these incredible pieces of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silver, that's fine! I first saw it last year. No shame in not having gotten around to a movie yet. I hope you really enjoy it when you get to it, though! I was not expecting Orson Welles to be such a fun Rochester.

      Delete
  6. I love how Herrmann perfectly showcased the formidable presence that was Orson Welles--it really worked beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)