Monday, November 11, 2019

Announcing the Beyond Star Trek Blogathon

Quiggy (of The Midnite Drive-In) and I are co-hosting another blogathon!  The Beyond Star Trek Blogathon will focus on actors and actresses from all the Star Trek shows, but in their non-Trek roles.


In other words, any actor or actress with a regular role in any Star Trek show from The Original Series to Discovery is fair game for this, BUT you can't write about their role on Star Trek.  You have to write about something else that they acted in.


We ask that you restrict yourself to actors and actresses who had recurring roles playing the same character on a Star Trek show, not one-time guest stars.  So Grace Lee Whitney, who played Yoeman Janice Rand in 8 episodes of season one of The Original Series, would be an acceptable choice; Roger C. Carmel, who played Harry Mudd in two episodes of TOS, would be also.  But Kirsten Dunst, who appeared in only one episode of The Next Generation, is not.

Alternatively, you can write about someone behind the cameras, such as a director or writer, but again, they need to have contributed in a real way to the shows, not worked incidentally on one in some tangential way.


If you're not sure if the person you want to write about is fair game or not, just ask either myself or Quiggy!

We're asking that there be no duplicate reviews of movies/shows.  So if you want to write about Patrick Stewart as Professor X, for instance, and someone else has already signed up to review X-Men: Days of Future Past, you can review a different X-Men movie instead, but not that specific one.  Or if one person does an overview of all the X-Men movies as a whole, someone else can review one particular film.


This blogathon will run from Friday, January 10, through Sunday, January 12, 2020.  Grab one of these buttons to display on your blog and help spread the word!


You can sign up either on this post or on Quiggy's post at The Midnite Drive-In.  Please give us the name of the actor or actress you want to write about AND the name of the movie or show they were in that you'll be focusing on, and the address of your blog.


The Roster

+ The Midnite Drive-In -- Leonard Nimoy in Zombies of the Stratosphere (1952) AND Deforest Kelly in Fear in the Night (1947)
+ Hamlette's Soliloquy -- William Shatner in The Big Valley episode "A Time to Kill" (1966)
+ Coffee, Classics, and Craziness -- Leonard Nimoy in season 4 of Mission: Impossible (1969-70)
+ Angelman's Place -- Leonard Nimoy in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
+ Caftan Woman -- DeForest Kelley on Zane Grey Theater
+ Wide Screen World -- Robert Beltran in Eating Raoul (1982)
+ Movies Meet Their Match -- William Shatner in Miss Congeniality (2000)
+ I'm Charles Baker Harris (And I Can Read) -- LeVar Burton on Reading Rainbow (1983-2015)
+ Along the Brandywine -- William Shatner in Little Women (1978)
+ Diary of a Movie Maniac -- James Doohan in Pretty Maids All in a Row (1971)
+ YOU!

27 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! Sign me up!

    I'd like to write about DeForest Kelley guest starring on Zane Grey Theater, if I may.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you aboard, Caftan Woman! Ooooh, I can't wait to see what you have to say about that :-)

      Delete
    2. Quick question, Caftan Woman -- I see De Kelley was in 4 different Zane Grey Theater eps, so were you thinking of doing an overview of all four, or focusing on a specific one?

      Delete
    3. I'm thinking about looking at all of them at this time. One may jump out at me after rewatches.

      Delete
  2. EATING RAOUL, co-starring Voyager’s Robert Beltran.
    http://widescreenworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on Showtime when it came to cable and loved it. Even did my own review a year or so ago.

      Delete
    2. Quiggy, I *thought* it sounded familiar!

      Delete
  3. This is such a fun idea! I've never been much of a "Treky" myself, but it is interesting to see the actors in other things. It seems so weird to be thinking about 2020! I'd like to review Miss Congeniality (2000) which has William Shatner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, that movie is so funny! Excellent choice :-) I've got you added.

      Delete
  4. *hops up and down*

    Soooo excited for this! And I still think it's one of the coolest blogathon ideas! (Thanks, Quiggy. <3)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I write about LeVar Burton on Reading Rainbow? Because I loved Reading Rainbow. So much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, absolutely! I'll add you to the roster right now.

      I loved that show too!

      Delete
  6. Hi there, my husband just found William Shatner in The Babysitter (1980), and it looks like one I should review.. can I be a pest and change to this one??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realweegiemidget, sure! Switching it up for you now...

      Delete
  7. *trying to think about January*

    *But this is Star Trek, some of which I love immensely*

    Ok, if no one else is interested, can you put me down for the 1978 Little Women with William Shatner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, YAY!!! I've so been hoping someone would contribute a review of that. I've already reviewed it, or I'd do it myself. Adding you to the roster now :-)

      Delete
  8. Thank God you don't alphabetize entries like I do (idiot that i am) or we might both be in trouble...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea! I would like to write about PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW (1971), with James "Scotty" Doohan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diary of a Movie Maniac, that sounds great! Can you give me a link to your blog? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. https://diaryofamoviemaniac.wordpress.com/

      Delete
  10. Hi Rachel, hope you had a fab holiday time. Sorry but I have to now withdraw from this blogathon for personal reasons - I look forward to reading the entries! from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gill, I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand.

      We had a great Christmas, and the New Year is going well so far! Hope the same goes for you and yours :-)

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)