Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Happy Birthday, Bobby Darin: A Photo Tribute

To celebrate Bobby Darin's birthday today, I'm going to share a few photos of some of the Bobby Darin stuff that I've collected up over the years.  I've been a fan of his since 1997, so that's quite a nice chunk of time to spend finding things :-)

I haven't started looking for his vinyl records online or anything, but I've picked up quite a few in thrift stores and record stores over the years.  Yes, I do own a working turntable, so I can actually listen to these!  There's something really special about listening to vinyl records that makes me feel like I'm a little kid again.


I have 41 CDs of his music.  Now, there are some songs that I have on multiple CDs just because a lot of these are compilations -- you know, "best of" collections and so on.  And I have quite a few that are live recordings from his wonderful concerts, so then it's often just a different rendition of a song I have the studio recording of on another album.  But still, I have hundreds and hundreds of songs of his to enjoy any time :-)  I listen to him a lot in the morning while making breakfast, to kick my day off on a cheerful note, but also when I'm writing books.  Or basically any time at all.  He recorded in so many different styles and genres that I can always find something that fits my mood.


And he was also a talented actor!  I haven't seen all of his movies and TV show eps yet, but I'm working on it ;-)  Of the ones below, the only one I haven't watched yet is Run, Stranger, Run (1973 -- also known as Happy Mother's Day, Love George).  I'm hoping to watch it this week in his honor.

Beyond the Sea (2004) doesn't actually have him in it, but I included it here anyway because it's a musical fantasy biopic about his life.


Of his films, the only ones I've reviewed here so far are Captain Newman, MD (1963), Hell is for Heroes (1962), and Gunfight in Abilene (1967).  So far!  I've been really busy this year and not able to do as many movie reviews as I'd like, but I'm planning to get back to doing more of them soon.

Anyway, happy birthday, dear Bobby Darin!  Thanks for all the inspiration and enjoyment you've given me.

6 comments:

  1. I have seen Bobby in GUNFIGHT IN ABILENE and IF A MAN ANSWERS and THAT FUNNY FEELING, the last two have SANDRA DEE. I especially like him (and SANDRA) in THAT FUNNY FEELING. I think Bobby showed a real knack for comedy in it. SANDRA was only married(and divorced) once-to Bobby. They had one son DODD. One of the songs I like is DREAM LOVER. BOBBY & SANDRA certainly were a cute and talented couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I ADORE Gunfight in Abilene!!! In fact, I co-wrote a fanfiction follow-up to it with a friend of mine, MountySwiss. You can read it here on fanfiction.net if you're interested! It was just an absolute joy to write.

      I rewatched That Funny Feeling this year for Bobby Darin's birthday. I prefer it to If a Man Answers, but neither are exactly favorites of mine. My favorites of his movies are definitely Gunfight in Abilene, Hell is for Heroes, and Captain Newman, MD, though I've seen a few others of his as well.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)