Monday, July 30, 2018

#WIPjoy in July -- Which Character Week

The final week of the #WIPjoy prompts was the most fun for me.  It was all about contrasting characters, and Dancing and Doughnuts has a much bigger cast than Cloaked and "The Man on the Buckskin Horse," so I was able to use different characters for all of them!

Day 24: Which character is the warmest?  Coldest?

This one features a mother and one of her many daughters.


Day 25: Which character is the most religious?  The least?

I suppose technically the minister might be the most religious guy in town, but I never gave him a name or any page time, so I went with a couple of other secondary characters who, while they never outright discuss religion in the book, definitely give this impression through their actions.


Day 26:  Which character is the most confident?  The least?

Half of this one was a gimme.  My protagonist is possibly too confident, to be honest.  The other half was tougher, but in the end, I went with a character who is quiet and stays in the background a lot because she likes it that way.


Day 28:  Which of your characters is the most chill?  Least chill?

I love this one because they tie together in fun ways -- one so worried and tightly wound because of what's happening in the story, and the other so laid-back and unperturbed by everything.  I love More Trouble, I really do -- he and his best friend just swaggered into my story right when I was starting to write the first draft, and I kept finding more and more things for them to do just because I enjoyed hanging out with them.  I had to cut them back a little, in the end, I'm afraid.


Well, I'm all done with the #WIPjoy in July challenge.  I hope you've had as much fun getting these little sneak peeks into Dancing and Doughnuts as I've had sharing them!  I really can't wait until you can just read the whole book for yourselves.  Soon!  In fact... this week, I'll be announcing the release date AND calling for ARC-reading volunteers, so stay tuned for that :-)

8 comments:

  1. I'm getting more and more excited for this book . . . and I was already really excited :D

    Algona is a super intriguing last name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, me too! I just got it back from it last round with my editor, so I'm going to dig into the great chore that is POLISHING tonight :-)

      Algona is not a real last name. I had them named something different, but it was hard to spell and I kept saying "Algona" in my head, and so I just... changed it. It's actually a town in Iowa that has to do with being a place where the Algonquin tribe lived or something, I believe.

      Delete
    2. Good luck!!

      I bet it's a real last name SOMEWHERE . . . pretty much anything can be a last name, if it tries hard enough . . . ;-)

      Delete
    3. Jessica, that's true :-) And it sounds like a last name.

      Delete
  2. Loving the little pictures I'm getting of each of the characters, and the little facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Skye! I love finding actors and actresses who would fit roles so perfectly :-)

      Delete
  3. Ack, this is fun. I enjoyed reading a little more about your characters! :D

    ReplyDelete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)