Monday, July 09, 2018

#WIPjoy in July -- Intro Week

Thanks to author Abby Jones encouraging me to join up with the #WIPjoy challenge, I've been sharing some random stuff about Dancing and Doughnuts on my Facebook author page.  And I've had so much fun with it, I decided to share them here too, with a little weekly recap of sorts through the month of July.  I meant to post this over the weekend, but got busy, so here we are on Monday instead :-)

Day 3:  Introduce your main character with a line from your book, a song, and a visual.

Here's the line and the visual:


And here's a song that fits well with his personality:

(Please ignore the fact that this YouTuber spelled Bobby Darin's name wrong.)


Day 4:  A line to hook readers.

I chose this one from very early in the story:


Day 5:  Three side characters you love

I hereby give you three of the "twelve dancing princesses" from my book, along with a line about each from their introductory scenes.  Pictured are the kinds of dancing shoes women wore in the late 1860s, which is when Dancing and Doughnuts takes place.




I'm not doing every single prompt because... sometimes I run out of time, sometimes I forget, and sometimes they don't appeal to me.  But here's the official list for July, in case you're curious about what's coming up next.  I'll do another recap post next weekend, or thereabouts :-)


Oh, and if you're participating in #WIPjoy either on Facebook or Instagram, leave me a link in the comments so I can check out your posts too!

8 comments:

  1. Oh I like the sound of these characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangers can be trouble, indeed! (says the New Englander ;-) ) I'm looking forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, yeah, I tried living among New Englanders for 3 1/2 years. I was still "a stranger" to most of them when I left.

      But anyway, my favorite basic plotline is "someone comes to town, and everything changes." (Some would argue that the only other plotline there is, is "someone leaves town, and everything changes.") Strangers are a big thing in a lot of my stories!

      Delete
    2. Haha! Sounds accurate!

      Wow. That is a fascinating way to think about stories. I'm not sure if I've ever thought in those terms--someone coming to town, or someone leaving town. But, I like it.

      Delete
    3. When you boil them down, all stories really do seem to fit one of those two plotlines.

      Delete
  3. Your book sounds awesome Rachel. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)