Saturday, November 26, 2016

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" -- Initial Thoughts

I've decided that instead of always waiting to blog about a movie until I've seen it at least twice and can review it properly, I will sometimes write up an "initial thoughts" post that is not a review, but more of a reaction.  Then later, when I've seen it again and can write up a more orderly and thought-out review, I will.  I started thinking of doing this when I saw Dr. Strange (2016) a couple weeks ago, but didn't quite decide to do it until today.

Today, I HAVE to post my thoughts on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016).  I can't not.  And these are scattered, unfocused thoughts, fairly spoilage-free.  Just me sharing my exuberance :-)

First, I don't know about you, but I am now firmly convinced that J. K. Rowling is going to go down in history as one of the most creative minds of all time.  Her imagination is like Newt Scamander's suitcase -- it is far bigger inside than you would ever expect, and much cooler than you could dream.  I stand in awe.

Second, wow.  Yeah, just... wow.  That's basically what I was thinking through vast sections of this movie:  wow wow wow.

Third, Newt Scamander is my hero.  I'm serious.  The guy is shy and awkward and uncomfortable around people, wizardly and no-maj/muggle alike, but that doesn't stop him from standing up to people around him in defense of any creature or person he believes needs his help.  He sees the world with kind and gentle eyes, and I want to hug him.

Fourth, I want to be friends with three of the other characters in this too.  Which means, yeah, I pretty much loved it.  Cannot wait to go see it again; hoping to find a 3D showing this time.  I went right to the bookstore from the theater and bought the screenplay AND the soundtrack,  Have already listened to the latter, and will dig into the former this evening.

Right.  So, that's about all I have to say at the moment.  I laughed, I cried.  It moved me, Bob.  I'm so excited they are making LOTS MORE!!!

14 comments:

  1. My sister and I are going to see this next Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, now I know what you mean when you say you "want to be friends" with the characters--I've always heard you say that, but I never really knew what you MEANT until we talked about it. Interesting stuff.

    This is random--but how do you feel about the character Fonzie on "Happy Days"? Do you like him? Love him? Is he annoying to you?

    (I'm asking because I recently went on a "Happy Days" binge and promptly fell in love with him. So I was curious as to other people's reactions to his personality :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I am really quite fond of the Fonze. I've made my pilgrimage to see his leather jacket at the Smithsonian and everything. I would like to have him as a big brother.

      Delete
    2. My mom actually met the actor, Henry Winkler, when she was a kid. She told me he was a very kind, mellow person :-) The Fonz himself isn't exactly mellow, but he's very, very kind--that's why I love him :-)

      Delete
    3. Jessica, I've heard/read that about him, that he's a genuinely nice guy. And yes, the Fonz is both kind and helpful, so of course I like him!

      Delete
  3. Yup.

    That's pretty much all I got. I walked out of that movie in awe for Rowling's incredible genius -- the detailed world she continues to build through subsequent projects. We're fortunate to live in her time, and admire her work as it unfolds. This is deeper, more soulful, in some ways, than Harry Potter -- perhaps because it's about adults.

    Such a good, profound, moving, inspiring story.

    Bring on the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity, yeah, it's just kind of... awe. Lots of awe.

      I'm reading the script right now, in very tiny doses because I'm savoring it like dark chocolate. Lots of awe there too.

      Delete
  4. If I waited until I watched a movie twice before i reviewed it I'd only have a couple of dozen movies I could review... :-) I probably won't see this one until the library acquires the DVD, but I am (FINALLY!) going to see Dr. Strange today. But I'll have to tell people about it on another blog, since it would violate my premise to blog about it on The Midnite Drive-in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiggy, OH YES YES YES! You're going to Dr. Strange! I wish I could find time to see it again, and yet... now I'm all wrapped up in Fantastic Beasts. I'll totally buy the DVD, though. It was super fun. Did you see it in 3D? Cuz the 3D was stellar.

      Delete
  5. Glad you loved it Hamlette! I wasn't super interested in seeing it, but wound up going with friends, and really enjoyed it! I saw some flaws too, and some of it wasn't exactly my ideal cup of tea, but I also completely agree with what you said. I loved the creativity so much, and and the characters, especially Newt. I have a weakness for characters like him and he was done so well! So I'm on board and ready for sequels now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, yes. Newt was just... wow. Like kindness personified. I'm going to knit myself a scarf like his. Glad you're on board! Bring on the sequels!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow. Clearly I must needs watch this movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it a second time this past weekend and it blew me away again. If you at all dig magical realism, it's a must-see.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)