Sunday, May 07, 2006

It's Good Shepherd Sunday, and in church this morning we sang one of my favorite hymns. It's Psalm 23 set to music, and I adore the way the text is rewritten. It's very lyrical and just enough different from the psalm that it gets me to think about the words and their meanings again, rather than just reciting sounds from memory. Here they are:

The Lord's my shepherd; I'll not want.
He makes me down to lie
In pastures gree; he leadeth me
The quiet waters by.

My soul he doth restore again,
And me to walk doth make
Within the paths of righteousness,
E'en for his own name's sake.

Yea, though I walk in death's dark vale,
Yet will I fear no ill;
For thou art with me, and thy rod
And staff me comfort still.

My table thou hast furnished
In presence of my foes;
My head thou dost with oil anoint,
And my cup overflows.

Goodness and mercy all my life
Shall surely follow me,
And in God's house forevermore
My dwelling-place shall be.

(Text from the Edinburgh Psalter, 1650)


AND (drumroll please) we have a new niece! Cowboy's older brother (not Noumenon, the other one) and his wife now have three kids...hooray for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)