Thursday, January 13, 2022

The Lego Matrix Movie

I realized something the other day.

The Lego Movie (2014) and The Matrix (1999) are basically the same movie.

Hear me out!

In The Lego Movie, Emmet Brickowski (Chris Pratt) is an extremely ordinary everyman.  In The Matrix, Neo (Keanu Reaves) is an extremely ordinary everyman.  


One day, they each meet someone who tells them the world they live in is not what it seems to be.  This person then tells them that they are the Chosen One who can free the world, stop impending doom, and save the day.  Both of these wise, prophetic guru characters, Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) and Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman), have blank-looking eyes and cool voices.


The newly heroized main character then learns to manipulate their surroundings to create new things.


Both heroes are guided on their journey by a really hot chick who wears all black, has cool hair, and goes by a weird name: Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) and Wyldstyle (Elizabeth Banks).


Both heroes are relentlessly pursued by a maniacal adversary who generally wears sunglasses, dresses in black, and may or may not have multiple personalities (or multiple versions of themselves), aka Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) and Bad Cop/Good Cop (Liam Neeson).


Annnnnnnnd... both Neo and Emmet eventually learn that they are not actually "chosen" because the prophesy about them was just made up to bolster morale, but they save the day anyway, which makes them very happy.


Well, I mean, that's as much of a smile as we usually get from Keanu in a movie, right?  

Also, both of these movies were super successful and beloved, but then had sequels made that people kinda wish had never been made, so... yup.  Basically the same movie.  Don't know why it took me this long to see it.

10 comments:

  1. "Well, I mean, that's as much of a smile as we usually get from Keanu in a movie, right?" Lol!

    I have not seen The Matrix yet. o.O But I do want to.

    Ugh, definitely agree about The LEGO Movie sequel though. I *heartily* disliked that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, The Matrix is a very specific brand of cool. That I happen to dig pretty well, but not enough to actually own a copy. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, though.

      I haven't even watched the second Lego movie because I... haven't. Should get it from the library and at least try it. On the other hand, I don't love the first one enough to actually care enough to get around to doing that, I guess?

      Delete
  2. How interesting! I've never seen The Matrix, but I really enjoyed The Lego Movie. And I agree about the sequel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the second Lego movie definitely hasn't been popular! I should watch it sometime and decide for myself if I like it or not.

      Delete
  3. LOL! This was highly amusing! Great comparison and the pictures are priceless. I wonder if this is part of why I don't enjoy the Lego Movie? Cuz I don't like the Matrix? I also appear to be one of those people in the extreme minority who actually liked the second Lego movie far more than the first. But it made me laugh a lot, where the first one just annoyed me.

    I hope more pairs of movies jump out at you as related for future posts, cuz this was super fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DKoren, I maaaaay have spent more time finding the right pics than I did actually writing this, lol.

      It's so interesting that you dislike both of them! Hmm. I wonder if they both have some element that you just don't care for? I laugh a lot over the first Lego movie, but haven't seen the second one. One of these days.

      If two other movies ever do this for me, I will definitely post about them. I was just thinking about abrupt-girls-with-skills-who-guide-helpless-dudes one day and something clicked in my head between WyldStyle and Trinity, and then I definitely heard Keanu say "Whoa!" in my head, hee.

      Delete
  4. You've convinced me, for one! ;)

    I couldn't finish the Lego Movie, I lost interest after a while. On the other hand, I ADORED the Lego Batman Movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it's fun to ponder, anyway!

      This will not surprise either of us, but I enjoy the first Lego movie enough to have watched it 3 or 4 times, but I watched the Lego Batman Movie once and was done. Here we are with our opposite tastes again!

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)