Saturday, November 13, 2021

"Charade" (1963)


Some people call Charade (1963) "the best Alfred Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never made."  I can see why -- it's got so many of the same ingredients of classic Hitchcock suspense films.  Exotic European locales? Check.  Confused, innocent person pursued by hitherto unknown Bad Guys?  Check.  Beautiful woman in danger?  Check.  Chic costumes?  Wry humor?  Cary Grant?  Check, check, checkity check.

But I love Charade far more than any of Hitchcock's movies.  In fact, there are no Hitch films on my top 100 list, but Charade is firmly there.  I think that's because there's one key difference between Charade and even my favorite Hitchcock films:  I believe the happiness of its ending.  With all of Hitch's films, with the possible exception of The Trouble with Harry (1955), there's always this lingering... off feeling at the end.  Will the hero and heroine live in peace and happiness now that they're through whatever harrowing ordeal we've watched them survive?  In Hitchcock's movies, the answer is usually 'maybe.'  But with Charade, at least for me, the answer is a total 'yes.'


Regina Lampert (Audrey Hepburn) is suddenly, violently widowed when her husband falls from a train... or is pushed.  At his funeral, some very weird characters (played by James Coburn, George Kennedy, and Ned Glass) show up and behave fairly weirdly near the coffin.  


Then, they start threatening Regina.  They claim her husband had a lot more money than she knew about, and they insist he stole it from them.  The trouble is, no one can find the money.

A handsome, helpful man called Peter Joshua (Cary Grant) helps her out of a couple of jams, protecting and rescuing her from the three weirdos several times.  Peter and Regina had met before, just before her husband died, and she's all to happy to have him around giving her advice and shielding her from harm.


However, things keep getting stranger and stranger.  It's as if Regina is trapped in a kaleidoscope that a little kid keeps turning.  Names, identities, stories, and situations shift without warning, keeping her constantly off-balance.  Without Peter Joshua there to steady her, she would surely lose her footing completely.


Watching Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant together is pure magic.  Grant didn't initially want to make the movie because he felt the 25-year age gap between himself and Hepburn made the film's romance too ridiculous.  The screenwriters added a lot of little jokes about it to appease him, and he agreed to make the movie after all.  Thanks to those jokes, what might have been a slightly weird love story turns into a quirky and charming one, all because the characters acknowledge their age difference and accept it, so we do too.  Completely brilliant.

(Oh, and Regina was planning to get a divorce before her husband suddenly died, so that neatly eliminates any weirdness about her falling in love right after her husband's funeral.  For me, anyway.)


I watched this with my best friend a week or so ago.  I love this movie and have seen it many times, but she had only seen it once and didn't like it.  That made her curious to know why I love it.  I decided it mostly boils down to the fabulous dialog that makes me laugh and laugh and laugh, and the fact that I totally love the two main characters.  The lovely costumes and exciting story are fun bonuses, but they're not what draw me to the story.  I am here for Hepburn and Grant trading snappy, snarky, sassy one-liners and falling in love along the way, and that's all there is to it.


While we watched this together, my best friend commented that she really doesn't understand why Regina keeps trusting Cary Grant's character when his story changes every twenty minutes or so.  He's obviously lying to her -- he admits that repeatedly, and tells her new lies.  Why does she continue to trust him for so long?  I had to think about that for a bit, because it's a good question.  


I finally concluded that she trusts him because his words change, but his behavior doesn't.  He is always, always there for her, ready to help, rescue, shield, encourage.  He cheers her up, makes her laugh, feeds her, comforts her.  His truthful actions speak louder than his lying words, and those are what she trusts.  Only when she thinks she can't trust his actions anymore does her trust in him waver.

(Mild spoilage in this paragraph.)  Also, here's something I never picked up on while watching it all these times, but did while screencapping it -- Cary Grant is nearly always shot facing toward the right of the frame.  That codifies him as being a trustworthy good guy heading in the right direction.  Whenever he and Audrey Hepburn share the screen, he's on the left, looking right, as you can see in my screencaps.  That very subtly lets the audience know that yes, he is a good guy doing the right thing.  Pretty cool.  (It also means that whenever they share the screen, Audrey is looking left and thus signals that she's confused, going backward, or not doing things quite the way she ought, which is also super interesting.)  (End spoilage.)

Is this movie family friendly?  Mostly.  There are a couple of instances of taking God's name in vain, and maybe another mild cuss word or two.  There's this weird scene with people on a riverboat playing a game where they have to take an orange from the other person without using their hands that gets a little suggestive.  And there's a very tense and menacing scene where someone is threatened while getting burning matches dropped on them.  There's a gunfight and some hand-to-hand fighting, all sixties-style and non-gory.


This is my contribution to the Distraction Blogathon hosted by Taking Up Room.  The money in Charade is a MacGuffin because no one in the audience actually cares about it, it's just a reason to have a bunch of guys chase Audrey Hepburn while she trades sparkly quips with Cary Grant.  If you like classic cat-and-mouse movies, but you haven't seen Charade (or haven't seen it recently), it's FREE on Amazon Prime right now!  And it's not expensive on DVD either.

18 comments:

  1. Very fun write-up on this very fun movie!

    I can't read the name 'Peter Joshua' without hearing it in Grant's voice. =) Also, that's an interesting observation about his actions speaking louder than his words!

    Did Deb still dislike the movie after you guys watched it a second time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva! Yes, I hear 'Peter Joshua' in Grant's voice, and 'Reggie' too :-D

      I don't know if she likes it better now or not. Maybe she'll weigh in here at some point?

      Delete
  2. There is so much that needs doing right now but you have totally charmed me into a Paris sojourn with Reggie and that intriguing Peter (etc.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paddy, well, a little vacation to Paris with these two is always a delight, so I won't say I'm sorry ;-)

      Delete
  3. This is an interesting review! It's intriguing to see how our reactions to this movie, and especially to this romance, are so very different.

    This movie cemented Cary Grant for me as an actor I just couldn't "get," because I distrusted him on an instinctive, visceral level and couldn't shake that feeling whenever he was onscreen.

    It also confirmed for me that I don't like thrillers (at least not in movie form), because I get confused, frustrated, and anxious trying to follow the twists and figure out which characters are bad or good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, yes, I seem to recall you having a pretty opposite reaction to this one. No movie works for everyone!

      Delete
  4. I love this movie, partly because it's just good, and partly because I love both Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, and it's delightful to see them in anything together. (He wanted her cast again for Father Goose, but she was unavailable -- and that's a real shame. I still find Father Goose great and hilarious, but I would have loved it even more with Audrey in it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity, it's like getting to hang out with cooler-than-me friends and I just... love it :-D But yes, such a shame Hepburn couldn't be in Father Goose, though it would have had rather a different vibe with her, I think.

      Delete
    2. I just wrote about Father Goose for a recent event, and it's one of my sneaky favorites. I have always felt that film would have been absolutely destroyed by Hepburn. In that film, Leslie Caron pulls of a bit of "tough" Hepburn could have never carried. She's great in Charade opposite Grant, but there's no point in that film I have to buy her shepherding seven girls across the South Pacific one step ahead of the Japanese.

      Just my opinion...

      Delete
    3. J-Dub, my only qualm against Hepburn having been in Father Goose is that I'd have to suspend an awful lot of disbelief to buy Grant's character not liking her from the first.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading your review, Rachel, and especially your thoughts on why Regina trusts Peter. When I revisit this film, I will keep that in mind to add to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muse! Glad it gave you something new to think about :-)

      Delete
  6. I watched Charade just a few months ago, and while my reaction (partly) was similar to your friend's, I still had a great time with it. The contrast between the glamorous duo of Hepburn and Grant and the scruffy trio of the dead husband's wartime "buddies" is startling (and funny). Your observations of the positioning of the actors in the various scenes and what it implies about their characters is very insightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, that's so true that they really juxtapose the sophisticated pair with the sort of lumbering and brutish trio. To great comedic effect!

      Delete
  7. This is a PERFECT distraction movie--there's so much going on and it keeps you on your toes. I can't blame Cary for hesitating, but it is Audrey, after all. Thanks again for joining the blogathon with this terrific post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, yeah, I'm so glad they were able to make it work for Cary Grant because I just can't imagine anyone else in the role.

      I'm happy you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  8. I too love Charade far more than any Hitch's movie. This is my most favourite movie of both Grant and Hepburn. As I found this exciting and entertaining, I caught Arabesque starring Peck and Loren on its release. Both these films were directed by Stanley Donen. Apparently Arabesque was a remake of the former and both were equally as good. The latter had London as the locale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrisk, yes! It's also my favorite movie for both Hepburn and Grant. I've never seen Arabesque, though -- I keep worrying it will disappoint me because I love this one so much, but maybe I should try it sometime after all!

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)