Monday, July 19, 2021

Legends of Western Cinema Week 2021

Welcome, friends!  Welcome to this year's edition of Legends of Western Cinema Week, hosted by myself, Heidi at Along the Brandywine, and Olivia at Meanwhile, in Rivendell...

For this whole week, whenever you post something for this event, please visit one of our kick-off posts and add your post to our handy list widget!  It should show up on all three posts, giving everyone easy access to all the contributions.

I can't wait to visit all your fun posts!  Whether they're movie reviews, tag answers, lists, giveaways, whatever.  This event is a highlight of my summer!

As for the tag, here it is!  We decided to go with a "this or that" format this year, and I hope you'll have fun with it.

The Legends of Western Cinema Week Tag

1) Western movies or western TV shows?
2) Funny westerns or dramatic westerns?
3) Westerns that focus on loners or westerns that focus on families?
4) Male-centric westerns or female-centric westerns?
5) 1930s to 1960s westerns or 1970s to 2020s westerns?
6) Westerns that take place in America or westerns that take place internationally?
7) Family-friendly Westerns or edgier Westerns?
8) Straightforward good guy or conflicted hero?
9) Historically accurate Westerns or Westerns that aren't afraid to take some creative liberties?
10) Bittersweet or happily-ever-after endings?

Just copy those questions to your own blog and answer them there!  Then come back to this kick-off post to add the link for your post to the widget above.  Don't forget to add one of our official buttons to your post, and link to one of our kick-off posts so people can find the fun from your blog!

Serendipitously, the last day of this event (July 24) is this year's National Day of the Cowboy!  Just in case you needed an extra reason to celebrate.

Come back here to Hamlette's Soliloquy all week long for two fun western-themed games, a fresh edition of one of my Ten Favorites lists, and a movie review.  To kick things off today, I'm starting my giveaway, which you don't want to miss!  Learn more and enter it here.

Happy trails to you!

38 comments:

  1. I do not believe I am too late to join in the fun. (Hospitalization distracted me from keeping up to date on what really matters!)

    I would like to get to the tag sometime today and will bring a new western movie review to the table before the week ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again, Caftan Woman! Sorry it took me a few days to reply -- we were traveling home from seeing family out in Wyoming. You can definitely join with whatever western-cinema-themed posts you have time and energy for :-D

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited for this!! I have several blog post ideas, so we'll see how many get written/published. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, I hope you can manage several :-D Fun times!

      Delete
  3. Yay! It's here!! I've got an idea or two bouncing around, but we will see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

      Delete
  4. I've been waiting for this! I intend to enjoy myself tremendously :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, that's awesome! I hope you have been :-D

      Delete
  5. Hi, just added my link! Thanks for allowing me to relook at this movie. Looking forward to reading those posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gill! So glad you were able to join us :-) I'm looking forward to them too!

      Delete
  6. Just dropped in my tag answers, and I have at least one more post coming later in the week...maybe two...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, yay! We just got home from vacation last night (well, technically this morning, as it was past midnight...), so I'm working on unpacking today, but I plan to spend big chunks of the next couple days enjoying everyone's posts, including yours :-)

      Delete
  7. I got so busy this morning I almost forgot this is the week! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved these questions, and it was such a great trip down memory lane! I'll see if I can come up with a movie review for later in the week. Thanks you all for hosting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marian, I'm so glad you enjoyed them! We had such fun coming up with them :-) I'm looking forward to reading your contributions!

      Delete
  9. Huzzah and hurrah!

    Also, I didn't know that the 24th was National Cowboy Day. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, isn't that nifty? What a crazy, random happenstance!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Katie, great! I'm still working on unpacking from our vacation, but I'm planning to catch up on people's posts over the next few days :-)

      Delete
  11. Hi there! I accidentally just wrote my name on the widget, and forgot to write what the post was about. Do you now how to fix that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, no worries! I can always get into those widgets by the back door and fix things. I changed it to "Irene's Tag Answers at Horseback to Byzantium," does that work?

      Delete
  12. My Western watching is sadly lacking, I need to find a few during these event to try. I've watched Big Country, High Noon, and the Ox Bow Incident, and I think that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia, well, I could definitely recommend some for you! What are some themes you enjoy in stories? (Friendship, enemies-to-lovers, reconciliation, family drama, etc.) And what kinds of characters really draw you? (Loners, matriarchs, siblings, antiheroes, etc.)

      Delete
    2. I love friends to lovers and humor (I should have counted Apple Dumpling Gang among my Westerns, they fit) and more action than moody lonely sections (or sad endings). Of the movies I listed I loved Big Country, didn't love the other two.

      Delete
    3. Livia, aha! Okay, we can work with that. (I can't stand The Ox-Bow Incident, btw. Much Too Sad. Horrible, really. Ugh.)

      For lighter, funnier westerns try:

      + Destry Rides Again (1939)
      + Along Came Jones (1945)
      + Texas Across the River (1966)
      + Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)
      + North to Alaska (1960)

      For westerns with friends-to-lovers, try:

      + Angel and the Badman (1947)
      + Gunfight in Abilene (1967)
      + The Virginian (2000)
      + The Sheepman (1958)
      + Saskatchewan (1954)

      It isn't hard to find Angel and the Badman because it's in the public domain. It's a little harder to find a good transfer of it -- I'm really happy with the Olive Films DVD. But I bet it's on YouTube. Probably Amazon Prime too.

      Hope those give you some ideas of where to start! Oh, and NO sad endings for any of those.

      Delete
  13. Alrighty, I just posted my contribution!
    https://maidensofgreengables.blogspot.com/2021/07/7-thoughts-on-magnificent-seven-1960.html
    Thanks so much for hosting ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, so glad you had a chance to review that! It's one of my absolute favorite westerns, ever. SO GOOD.

      Delete
  14. The only thing "wrong" with this event is that it's hard to keep up with all the wonderful posts! :) Thank you to all of our hosts again this year for your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VT, it took me almost 3 weeks to read them all myself, so I feel your 'pain' ;-)

      Delete
  15. I was hoping to get a review up, but summer sometimes demands other things with my time. This was fun to fill out the tag, though! I'm going to devote my time instead into reading as many of these as I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe, such is life. Summer gets that way sometimes!

      Delete
  16. Hi, Rachel! Hope my post isn't too late.

    ReplyDelete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)