Fifty years ago today, on September 8, 1966, Star Trek debuted on NBC. Happy fiftieth to one of the most influential shows of all time! Not to mention one of my favorites :-)
So here are my ten favorite episodes from Star Trek: The Original Series as it's called now:
1. "Court Martial" -- Captain Kirk is brought to trial over the death of a crewmember.
2. "Mirror, Mirror" -- A few crewmembers encounter an alternate universe version of the Enterprise that is much more warlike than their own.
3. "The City on the Edge of Forever" -- Captain Kirk, Spock, and Dr. McCoy are thrown back in time to the 1930s, where they inadvertently change history and have to figure out how to fix things. Probably the finest episode in the series.
4. "Shore Leave" -- The crew visit a seemingly uninhabited planet that is filled with fun surprises. My kids love this one almost as much as "The Trouble with Tribbles."
5. "Day of the Dove" -- Klingons and Enterprise crewmembers are locked in a deadly struggle facilitated by a mysterious creature that feeds on hatred.
6. "A Piece of the Action" -- The crew encounter an alien society that has modeled itself around Prohibition-era gangsters of Earth's history. Everyone looks so yummy in those fedoras.
7. "I, Mudd" -- That rascal Harry Mudd from season one is back, this time lording it over a planet full of androids.
8. "Balance of Terror" -- A Romulan ship squares off with the Enterprise and a lot of tension and excitement ensues.
9. "Journey to Babel" -- Spock's parents are among the group of delegates gathered to discuss diplomatic and political stuff.
10. "The Trouble with Tribbles" -- Who doesn't love those prolific little fuzzballs that help Captain Kirk discover a Klingon spy? My kids' favorite episode, which means I've seen it a LOT lately.
Tell me -- what are your favorite Star Trek episodes? Are you celebrating today in any way? I'm wearing my Captain Kirk t-shirt and hope to watch an ep with my kids later today. It'll probably be "Shore Leave," but who knows -- I might show them one they haven't watched before. We'll see!