Monday, April 13, 2015

The "Just a List of Random Questions" Tag

And after all... why not?


Both Naomi and Emma tagged me for this tag that Naomi just happened to make up, and you know I find it almost impossible to resist a tag, unless I'm heinously busy or it is boring.  I'm not toooo busy, and this isn't boring, so here goes ;-)

The rules for the tag are:
~ Paste the button onto your blog post.
~ Leave a new list of questions (or just pass on the question list you answered) and tag a few people of your random choice (and say why you tagged them, if you have time!) (Be original and nonsensical in your question-creativity - make the blogging world a cheerful place :-) And be disastrously random.)
Now for the fun...
~Write down three facts about you - one of them is WRONG. Let your commenters guess in the comments which one is wrong (and tell them in the comments after a while)
~Answer the questions of the person who tagged you - make it all super random and interesting :-D

Three Facts About Me -- and One of These is WRONG!  Can you guess which one?
  1. I've traveled by car, bus, airplane, helicopter, speedboat, canoe, rowboat, and cruise ship.
  2. I've been inside all 50 of the United States.
  3. I've visited Canada, Mexico, Poland, and Ukraine.

My Answers to Naomi's Questions

Are there flowers in your bedroom?  Yes -- there are some dried lilacs and dried lavender by my sewing machine.

Who was your first - really first - (fictional) crush?  Jim Craig (Tom Burlinson) in The Man from Snowy River (1983).  I have loved him since I was 3 years old.

What is, in your opinion, the prettiest Little House Book cover?


That's the edition I got when I was a little girl, and I have always loved that one best.  Mostly because I want to be Laura, riding a horse out on the prairie.

On pictures, do you smile with your teeth or without?  Both.  Depends on the situation.

In 'Return to Cranford' Miss Matty gets a turban. What do you think of her in a turban?  I haven't seen Cranford OR Return to Cranford (please continue reading when you've revived after your fainting spell).  However, thanks to IMDB.com, I know she's played by Dame Judi Dench, and Dame Judi can wear anything, so I'm sure she's a mixture of ravishing and adorable and a little bit intimidating.

Did you get fooled this year on April the 1st?  Nope.

Do you think it's rude when girls re-do their whole hairstyle in public?  No.  I re-braid or re-ponytail mine in public when necessary.  Always making sure I won't hit someone in the face with it, of course.

What's your least favourite song in 'The Sound of Music?'  "Something Good."  Too Catholic and too boring for my taste.

Do you chew your inside cheeks when you're thinking?  No.  I do sometimes tap my teeth together when thinking, and I also pinch my lips together when I'm reading something and having a hard time concentrating on it.

Your how-many-ienth post is this?  867th on this blog!

What's your favourite Dickens movie?  The Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol (1999).


What should you be doing right now?  Figuring out crafts for my Sunday School class.

My Answers to Emma's Questions

What was the last blog you visited?  Besides Emma's and Naomi's to get these questions?  The Meanderings of Me, a new blog I've just found and started following.

What is one of your favorite movie soundtracks to listen to?  The Lone Ranger (2013), composed and produced by Hans Zimmer.  I bought this soundtrack when the movie came out, two summers ago, and I have yet to put it on my CD shelves.  It lives beside my little CD player in the kitchen, and I listen to it at least once a week still.  My favorite tracks are #3, "Ride," and #10, "Finale."





What's the absolute weirdest movie you've ever seen?  The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988).  It's by Terry Gilliam, so no surprise that it's incomprehensible and wacky.

What are the first flowers to bloom in the spring where you live?  By my house?  Usually my daffodils.  Here are some this year:


What is the longest book you've ever read?  Nonfiction?  I don't know.  Fiction would be The Count of Monte Cristo -- my copy is 1243 pages long.

Are you on Goodreads?  Technically, yes.  But I don't have time to actually use it.

Have you ever been in a musical production before?  I have!  I was in the chorus for three different Gilbert and Sullivan productions in college:  The Sorceror, The H.M.S. Pinafore, and The Yoemen of the Guard.  Photographic proof:


Now remember that those were long, long ago -- in 1999, 2000, and 2001 :-)  My favorite is the blue and pink dress from The Sorceror, and wouldn't you know it?  That's the one I don't have a full-length photo of.  It was so comfortable, and I'd totally wear it in "real life."

Is your mailbox on the same side of the street as your house, or do you have to cross the street to get to it?  Same side.

Do you subscribe to any magazines?  Yup!  Right now I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly and Better Homes and Gardens, and my husband subscribes to Answers Magazine from Answers in Genesis, National Geographic.

Would you ever consider dying your hair?  Yes.  I've dyed it various shades of red and auburn three times, and in college I did blue and purple, but only on the ends.

Is there a particular actress you think you look like?  I like to think I look a little like Julia Stiles.  We both have round faces, anyway.  I'm not blonde, though.


Do you decorate your bedroom with pictures of period dramas?  As a matter of fact, I have pictures from the WWII-set TV show Combat! above my sewing corner.

My List of Questions for my Tag-ees to Answer:

Favorite role from your favorite actor?
Favorite role from your favorite actress?
Book you've read that you tell people not to bother reading?
A food you refuse to try?
Your favorite article of clothing?
Have you ever gone to see the same movie in the theater more than once?
Do you paint your toenails?
Do you wear any piece of jewelry every day?
Are you on Pinterest?
Do you collect anything?
Have you ever asked a famous person for their autograph?
Have you been outside the country you were born in?

People I'm Tagging:

The Meanderer at The Meanderings of Me
Maddie Rose at The Madd Rose
Elizabeth Anne D. at Incidents of a Literary Nature
Play only if you want to, of course!  And if you want to try this and I didn't tag you... consider yourself tagged as well :-)

22 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for tagging me, Hamlette! I loved reading all the answers to the questions and I will definitely do a tag post soon. (-: And I think you would really love Cranford, it's fabulous, and so is Miss Mattie's turban. :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my library has Cranford, so one of these days I'll find time for it! I do love Judi Dench.

      Have fun with the tag :-)

      Delete
  2. (Doing a scroll-through comment, because this post is so fun.)

    I would guess that the second fact is wrong...and I'm hoping that fact three is right, because then you've been to Canada and you just might decide to return for a visit some day and then I'd have a slightly better chance of getting to meet you. :) But just watch - I'll be wrong.

    You need to watch both Cranford miniseries! I only watched them once, a long time ago, but I remember them as being absolutely smashing.

    I'll have to check out the Lone Ranger soundtrack, as I'm always looking for new, awesome music to listen to.

    At first I found Goodreads time consuming too, but after I shelved the millions of books I've already read, it became relatively easy to update my shelf ever so often. It's probably the social media sight I spend the least time on, though.

    Oh, I'd love to see pictures of your sewing corner. ;)

    If you don't mind, I'm going to answer your questions on my blog (probably tomorrow). I don't normally do tags, but this one is very fun and interesting, unlike some I've been tagged in.

    ~Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live in Michigan, and we went to Canada once a year or so. Sometimes we'd drive down to Detroit and drive under the lake to get there, and other times we went north instead. I also went on a choir tour in Canada after my second year at college. And back when we lived in CT, we went there with my brother and his wife for a long weekend, just for fun. So yes, #3 is true.

      I think my library has at least one of the Cranford series, so... one of these days!

      The whole Lone Ranger soundtrack is delicious. I wrote the last 4 or 5 chapters of my western YA novel to it. Yum yum yum.

      My sewing corner is the biggest mess imaginable. I keep saying I'm going to clean it up, but... it's up in my bedroom, no guests ever go in there, so it's never a priority. One day.

      I would love to see your answers! I didn't tag you because I know you usually don't do tags. But this was definitely a fun one :-)

      Delete
  3. I think I might nick this for my blog – the "guess the wrong fact" thing is brilliant, and you made up such interesting questions! I'm guessing Fact #2 to be the wrong one.

    I didn't know there was a Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol! I'll have to look that up this Christmas. Hans Zimmer's soundtracks are great, he might be my second-favourite movie composer. (Alexandre Desplat is my top favourite because he's composed for so many of my favourite movies and he's incredibly versatile.) Lucky you to have been in THREE musical productions! I would love to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Please nick it for your blog.

      And I will just go ahead and say that yes, #2 is wrong. I've been to all 48 of the continental states, but not to Alaska or Hawaii. Yet.

      The Patrick Stewart version is my favorite Christmas Carol. Really good, especially considering it's a TV movie.

      Desplat is good too! I've seen a lot of movies he's scored, but don't own any of the scores. My favorite composers, in no particular order, are Hans Zimmer, Patrick Doyle, Howard Shore, Rachel Portman, Elmer Bernstein, John Williams, and I'm sure I'm forgetting several, but those are the ones that popped into my head -- I have so many of their scores!

      The musicals were great fun! I wish now I'd done one my senior year too, but I was soooooooo busy getting ready to graduate AND have a wedding, and it just didn't work out.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for answering my questions Hamlette!

    BWAHAHA! Well, I haven't fainted - but really! You have to watch Cranford! It's one of the most charming Period Dramas in the universe. :-)

    Wow, you have written a lot of posts - I was actually reading your super old posts a few days ago, and tickled about how the 'atmosphere' on your blog has changed. :-)

    I personally adore Goodreads - I find it so addicting! It's a social media about BOOKS.... I just love it. :-)

    Your questions are so fun. :-)

    As for the wrong fact - I'm guessing it's number 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cranford is on my to-watch list. Just checked again, and my library has Cranford AND Return to Cranford, so... one of these days!

      And yeah, I've written a LOT of posts. That's what happens when you've been blogging for 12 years. My blogging has definitely changed, though! Used to be really introspective and kind of scattered. My posts about movies weren't so much reviews as a few thoughts and impressions. Back when I started blogging, there wasn't a way to put photos in posts unless you knew html, so they all look boring. So many changes!

      And yup, wrong fact is #2. I've only visited 48, not all 50.

      Delete
  5. I'm guessing the wrong fact is #2....and now I see I'm right. ;-P But golly, 48 states! I've only been in....*counts on fingers*....five, I think.

    *Sigh* Jim Craig. He's just such a dear. :-)

    Goodreads can become very time consuming (if you're like me and you go nuts in the presence of so many BOOKS) but I've found SO many good books through it that I never might have discovered. I love it, but sometimes I do get carried away. :-)
    Okay, apparently I need to listen to 'Something Good' again. People keep saying it's their least-favorite song in the musical, but I thought I remembered it was really pretty.

    You dyed your hair blue?!? ;-P

    You know, I've never heard of any of those musicals you were in! Your costumes are lovely, especially the blue and pink one. I still miss my Eponine costume. :-( And I miss putting 'dirt' on my face. *sniffle*

    Judi Dench is awesome. She either plays really tough and foreboding characters or sweet, slightly stupid characters. :-) Have you ever seen Ladies in Lavender? That's probably my favorite of her movies. It's so stinkin' cute. (And the music! Oh my!)

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my grandparents all loved to travel, and we did some awesome trips with them -- my grandparents paid for the gas and hotels, and my dad did all the driving. It was such a long time ago, but I can still remember things about those trips. Wonderful times. One summer, we touched inside every single state west of the Mississippi River (except Alaska) in two weeks. Manic pace, but so much learning and adventure crammed into that short time! I was only 7, and my brother was 2 1/2, and... my parents were brave, hee.

      Mmmmm. Jim Craig. Such a huge influence on my young life.

      "Something Good" is very pretty. But it did say least-favorite, and I don't like it as well as all the other songs.

      I dyed the ends of my hair blue. It looked kind of like blue flames creeping up my back. It was the kind of dye that rinses out after like 12 washes. A friend dyed all her hair blue, and I helped her, so to thank me for helping, she let me use the leftover dye :-) Same thing with the purple. This was in college, hee.

      Funny thing about musical theatre: that's where I learned to do makeup. Thing is, the makeup you use for theatre is NOT the same style you'd do in real life, so... I don't wear makeup in real life cuz I don't know how, don't have time, and don't really care.

      I have never seen "Ladies in Lavender," but I will seek it out! I love her in everything from the James Bond movies to "Chocolat" to "Jane Eyre" to... everything. I even enjoyed her in "Philhomena" even tho the movie overall was lacking.

      Delete
  6. I'm not even going to try guessing which is your lie…I will fail;)

    867 posts! Wow, good for you!

    Hans Zimmer…oh, he's amazingly talented. How does he do so epic-ly in EVERY score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee. It's #2.

      Yeah, I've kind of blogged a lot. Mind-numbingly so, in some ways.

      How DOES Hans Zimmer continue to churn out brilliant score after brilliant score?

      Delete
  7. You've written so many blog posts! Wow! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yeah, I have. That's why I have more than 150 labels for my posts. Hmm. Maybe I should trim off some of the ones that have only one post and are obviously not going to get lots more....

      Delete
  8. I'm going to guess your false fact is number 2.
    I have some copies of Little House on the Prairie that are that "older" edition!
    You simply must see Cranford and Return to Cranford! They are SO good. If you like period dramas, that is. :)
    I love the blue and pink dress in your picture! You're so pretty and the colors look so good on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No that I made my guess I read through all the above comments and wow!! You have been in 48 states???? You are so blessed to have been able to do that. I hope I can someday travel even half that much. :)

      Delete
    2. The truth is, I traveled to some of them, like Louisiana, when I was a baby or toddler, so I don't remember being there. And Washington state... we drove over the border, had lunch or used the restroom or something, and drove out again. But I was there :-) And yes, I've been blessed to be able to do all that travelling! I do love exploring our country, and some day I'd love to see more of Europe. Like when my kids are older!

      Speaking of "older," that copy of the Little House book... that's pretty much the edition that was available when I was a little girl. My parents got me a boxed set of the first, what, 8 or 9 books? My mom read them to us over and over on long car rides, a tradition I have continued with my kids.

      I do want to see the Cranfords! I will.

      And thanks -- I thought that dress was so pretty. I really wish I had more pictures of it!

      Delete
    3. Oh yes...Europe is one of my dream travel spots too...especially England. :)

      That's such a great idea of reading to your kids on long car rides!

      Good! I'm sure you'll like the Cranford movies! :)

      Delete
  9. Tom Burlinson! Ah my heart. That man is VERY nice looking. :D

    Yay for awesome costumes! I especially love the blue and pink one. Musical theater is so fun, isn't it? I was much more behind the scenes in high school, but I loved it.

    I really must check into Combat some day. Since I know you love it so much and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Kara -- and he's aged pretty well too!

      I loved musical theater. Just such a cool kind of camaraderie. I even made Cowboy participate one year, which he was not particularly appreciative of.

      Combat! some day -- good plan :-)

      Delete
  10. Musicals are soooo fun!!! I did Peter Pan and Guys and Dolls at my local theater, along with two fundraiser variety shows, a summer camp (Peter Pan) and took classes for a year. Now they don't do Junior High kids anymore. Just younger kids:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy Bird! (And I love that user name. My 4-year-old loves to pretend she's the Wendy Bird.) I would LOVE to have been in Guys and Dolls -- it's possibly my absolute favorite musical. Who did you play?

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)