Thursday, October 27, 2005

"Doom" (2005) -- Initial Thoughts

Went to see Doom on Tuesday night. It was pretty good--I'm definitely glad I went to see it in the theater, because I just don't think it'd be as cool on a small screen. Especially the ten or so minutes of FPS stuff at the end (that's First-Person Shooter, for you non-video-game-players)--that wouldn't be nearly as great on just my little tv.

The movie itself was okay...I have to admit I've never played the game or read any of the novels, so I liked all the expository stuff at the beginning. And you know me...I'm a Dwayne Johnson fan! And dear Karl Urban got to be the hero, which is just so cool. Yay for KU! (He plays 'Eomer' in Lord of the Rings, who ties with Gandalf for my third-favorite character, just FYI)

It was a lot creepier than I expected, with more scary chasing and freaking out in dark tunnels than the preview suggested. The music was appropriately wailing and wicked. The acting was adequate, and brilliant now and then. Karl Urban had the best character to work with, and he did a lot with it. I hope to see him in a lot more movies soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)