Saturday, May 21, 2022

Movie Music: Danny Elfman's "Mission: Impossible" (1996)

Way back when this movie came out, my brother and I pooled our money and bought the soundtrack together because we loved the movie so much. We listened to it All The Time. We especially thought it was awesome as background music when we were playing with our Star Trek action figures -- we memorized which tracks were which so we could cue up exactly what we needed for whatever was going on in our tiny fictional universe.


So, today I'm going to share my favorite tracks from the soundtrack. And I'm of course going to begin with the iconic theme song. It's an instant smile-inducer for me :-)


My mom had this book from the 1960s that had the sheet music for the theme song from the original TV show, and I figured out a jazzed-up version of it to match this one and memorized it. Did I mention that I really love this soundtrack (and movie) a lot? Thanks to this, Dick Tracy, and Men in Black, Danny Elfman was possibly my favorite composer in the '90s.

I think my favorite track of all is "Zoom B" because it's basically an adrenaline rush set to music.


But I also love "Betrayal." It's very minor, and feels shadowy, mysterious, kind of chilling.


Okay, that's it for today, my friends. As Jack Harmon says, hasta lasagna!

(This review originally appeared here at J and J Productions on August 15, 2015.)

4 comments:

  1. I remember watching this movie and being delighted with how closely the vibes matched those of the original show. The music played a part in that, I'm sure.

    Danny Elfman is such a good composer! I was first introduced to his music when I watched Epic (2013). That's probably still my favorite of his soundtracks. I recently rewatched the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man trilogy and I really like what Elfman did with his scores for the first two films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, I went the other way -- saw this movie first, then sought on the TV show a few years later. I've only seen a couple of eps, but I also like how well the two vibes match :-)

      I used to get the soundtrack for the first Spider-man movie out of the library to listen to. Good stuff!

      Delete
  2. Hello, I was watching an old TV series called Combat. I grew up watching it. I was reading some of your other blogs. I too love cowboy movies with John Wayne, Alan Lad, Chyenne and many others. I have my basement decorated in western movie items. Yeah, I'm old ,69. Glad others enjoy same programs. Take care, Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Tim! It's always so awesome to meet another fan of Combat! :-) Not to mention John Wayne, Alan Ladd, and all the wonderful old shows and movies. Your basement sounds like my dad's! He's a little older yet than you are, but his basement is all cool western movie posters and signs. For me, it's my living room -- pictures of John Wayne, Alan Ladd, and Bobby Darin in various westerns, with a few others sprinkled here and there :-)

      I'm glad you've been enjoying my blog! Feel free to leave comments on any post you have thoughts about -- I always love getting comments, even on really old posts. If you comment on an older post and the comment doesn't appear right away, that's just because I have my comment section set to check with me before comments on older posts before publishing them, just to keep the spammers at bay ;-)

      Glad to know you!

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)