Monday, November 30, 2015

How'd I Do With My Autumn To-Do List?

I know that technically winter doesn't start until December 21st, but I always feel like winter begins December 1st, so I'm ending this here.

Although my summer to-do list was such a great motivator, I was not as successful with my autumn list.  I blame this on teaching more school in the fall, plus Cowboy being gone on a lot of work-related trips.  When he's gone a week at a time, I tend to just put my head down and doggedly survive each day until he returns.  And between the beginning of September and now, he's been gone Five Weeks, though not all at once, thank the Lord.  I did get some movies watched in the evenings while he was gone, so those goals got met, but the reading, not so much.  Here are my results:

~ Transfer my languishing lavender plants to the ground.  Fail.  They're stuck in their pots until spring again.  Totally ran out of time because Cowboy wasn't around so often.

~ Read 3 books about Robin Hood.  Fail.  I tried reading Dauntless by Dina L. Sleiman, but it was only tangentially related to Robin Hood, in that he got mentioned a couple times, and after a hundred pages I realized I didn't actually care about any of the characters, so I took it back to the library.  I have pretty well failed my quest to read 6 Robin Hood books in one year, though I did watch 4 movies about him.

~ Read 3 other books from my TBR shelves.  Fail.  I only read Luther and Katharina by Jody Hedlund.  I did re-read a couple of books, but didn't finish any new ones.

~ Read 3 other books from the library.  Fail.  Didn't even read one.  Sniffle.  This was not a good autumn for books.

~ Watch the Ioan Gruffudd version of Great Expectations.  Fail.

~ Watch 5 other movies from my TBW shelves.  Check!  I watched Dear Heart (1964), Zorro (1974), The Bourne Identity (1988), Westward the Women (1951), and Gunless (2010).

Watch the Patrick Stewart version of North & South.  Fail.  I have it on hold at the library, but it has yet to arrive.

~ Finish rewriting my current WIP, "The Rose-Covered Cabin," and begin editing it.  Check!  In fact, I've nearly finished editing it, and will be submitting it soon.

~ Make mushroom soup from the recipe in An Unexpected Cookbook.  Check!  It was delicious.  Here it is, compared with the picture in the book:


~ Make Mr. Thornton Cupcakes.  Fail. 

~ Make one more trip to the local ice cream spot before it closes for the winter.  Fail.  Oh well, I'm sure we'll be back many times next year.

~ Take my kids to the state park forest.  Check!  In fact, we got there twice.

~ Make leaf crafts using all the leaves we collected last year and never used.  Sort-of check.  We tried to decorate candle holders using our pressed leaves from last year and Mod Podge, but the pressed leaves held their shape too well!  So we ended up running out into our back yard and collecting new leaves for that project, which turned out rather well:

(They have battery-operated tea lights in them, so totally kid-safe!)

~ Finish sewing my autumnal layered skirt.  Check!  And here it is:



~ Make jumpers for my daughters from the fabric they've chosen.  Check!  I think that's the first thing on this list I finished.

So a few of these are going on my Winter To-Do List, which I will draw up shortly.  I did better at finishing projects this fall than at reading books, I guess.  Not all bad!  Just a little unusual, for me.

7 comments:

  1. How was Westward the Women? Some bloggers I read really love that movie (and Wellman is one of my favorite directors), so I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, I quite liked it! I want to see it again, but I'd actually borrowed it from my parents and had to return it. I didn't love it, but I did enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I love your skirt! And hey, you DID do a lot of the things on your list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, thanks! I did, didn't I? Almost as many wins and losses, so yay!

      Delete
  3. Whoa--that skirt is BEAUTIFUL! Awesome job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, thanks! Can you believe I found all those fabrics in the bargain remnants bin at the fabric store on the very same day?

      Delete
    2. That's Luck, is what that is.

      Bargain bins are one of the greatest blessings known to mankind ;)

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)