Saturday, September 10, 2005

I have started a new writing regimine. It's sort of inspired by Dkoren/Lanyn's mention a while ago (I think on her blog, but it coulda been in an email to me) that she keeps a record on a particular calendar of how many words she writes every day. It's also inspired by an article I was reading in Writer's Digest at the grocery store the other day, that talked about the importance of making yourself write every day, even if it's just a little bit. In that article they mentioned that Hemingway himself often only wrote 400-500 words a day. So I thought to myself, "I'm about half as good as Hemingway, so I'll start out trying to write half as many words a day!" So my goal is now to write at least 200 words every day, on one of my many projects. And on my 'weekends' I have to write at least 1,000 words in the two days. So far I've stuck to it too (but then, I only just instituted it on Tuesday). In fact, on my three days off this week (I love holidays!), I wrote more than 4,000 words! Just makes me feel good to know I've accomplished something, you know? Oh, and by the way, this posting happens to be 232 words long! Just so you have an idea how little I'm actually making myself write...

2 comments:

  1. 200 words isn't that much, is it? But it adds up quickly if you do it regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding--it adds up extremely quickly! Especially since I sometimes end up writing more than just 200 words :-D Since I started this on Friday, I've done 202, 204, 367, and 716 words on worknights! And even if I only do 200 words on worknights and 500 on weekendnights, that's 2,000 words a week! Which is pretty doggone cool.

    ReplyDelete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)