Wednesday, June 08, 2005

"Revenge of the Sith" (2005)

I've seen Revenge of the Sith three times so far. Guess you could definitely say I like it :-D I'm especially pleased that Hayden Christianson has learned to act (and gotten h-o-t!). There are moments when he looks so much like Mark Hamill it's kinda scary. How'd Lucas do that? Cast some kid as Anakin for Episode II knowing that he'd grow up in a few years to look like Luke? Also, his fighting style is really reminiscent (preminiscent?) of Luke's, especially his wide-legged stance. I find those foreshadowings much more interesting than blatant things like Padme wearing the cinnamon-bun Leia hairdo, or how the ships sorta foreshadow the original trilogy's Tie Fighters, X-Wings, and Star Destroyers.

But I've discovered 2 inconsistencies with the original trilogy. If you've read these elsewhere, sorry. I haven't read them anywhere else, so they're original to me (I haven't really done any digging online for SW stuff, cuz I've been too busy watching it in the theater).

1. In Return of the Jedi, Leia says she remembers her mother a little, at least some images of her. But Padme dies in childbirth! Wow, quite the memory Leia has!

2. In The Empire Strikes Back, when Luke leaves Dagobah, Obi-Wan says "That boy was our only hope," and Yoda replies, "No, there is another." Um, Obi-Wan is totally present at the birth of the twins, and involved in giving them to their new caretakers. Of course, he could be getting a little forgetful...in A New Hope, he can't seem to remember ever owning a droid (but I think he's just being silly there).

Despite these two inconsistencies, I still like Revenge of the Sith. As Cowboy pointed out to me, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Joss Whedon have both had their inconsistent moments too...so I guess George Lucas can be forgiven...

My only disappointment with this movie is that there's no little 10-year-old Han Solo running around somewhere, making trouble or something. Come on, all the other major characters from the original trilogy get to be in it, but not my rogue Han? :-(

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Luke is boring, and whiny. Except in Return of the Jedi when he gets dark and kinda cool. Anakin's a lot like him in that respect: whiny and annoying in the first two, then not so much in the third. Maybe it's acquiring the shiny black boots that does it. Anyway, it's in his final battle with Vader and the Emporer that I remember his fighting style the most. Probably because he'd finally acquired a style then.

    I think Leia must have some midichlorians, because don't she and Luke mentally communicate at some point? I really need to watch the old ones again...I keep meaning to, and then other things get in the way.

    ReplyDelete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)