Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Drifting Leaves: An Autumn Tag

My friend Olivia tagged me with this little seasonal challenge over on her blog, Meanwhile, in Rivendell... last fall.  I'm in the mood for blog tags lately, so finding it in my drafts was perfect timing.  Belated thanks, Olivia!


Here are this tag's rules:

1. Download the cover photo and use it for your post (check)
2. Acknowledge the person who tagged you (check) 
3. Tag others and comment on their blog to let them know! (check) 
4. Slip into autumn vibes (check)

And here are the tag questions:

1. If autumn isn't your favourite season, what is? And if autumn is your favourite season, why? 

Where I currently live, autumn is my favorite.  Winter is my true favorite, but the winters here are mostly grey and ugly and barren, with no snow to cheer up and beautify the world except for a couple of days here and there.  I am passionately in love with snow (and I have lived in Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Connecticut, so I know whereof I speak -- this is not a childish and frivolous love) and Christmas and so many wintery things -- but winter here is disappointing.  

So I love autumn best here.  And that's because it's when we can say farewell to something I hate: being hot.  I really hate being hot.  And it is hot here from late May through mid-September.  It's quite disgusting, Holmes.  But when fall finally arrives, the heat leaves and I feel like myself again.  (I actually get the summertime version of Seasonal Affective Disorder toward the end of most summers, so I literally mean I feel more like myself again when autumn comes to rescue me.)  Also, I get very creative in the fall and usually do some of my best writing then.  And I love all the changing colors of the tree leaves.  And I love to bake, but it's too hot in the summer to bake much, so I can bake more again once the weather cools down!

(All photos in this post are my own.)

2. What is your favourite thing that you do each autumn? 

I love to go to Colonial Williamsburg in the fall to see all the beautiful trees and drink hot apple cider while strolling down Duke of Gloucester Street.  It might be my favorite season to spend there, though come springtime, I'll say that's my favorite.  Both are so beautiful!


For the past few years, we have gone to Colonial Williamsburg in mid-November to see them fire their bricks.  They build a giant kiln out of unfired bricks that they made all during the spring and summer, and then build a massive fire inside it and bake the bricks.  It's amazing to watch.


3. What are a couple of your favourite autumn memories? 

I have a lot of fun making costumes, and I have some great memories of making unusual costumes for my kids, especially when they were very small.  A fire truck, an airplane, a big squishy pumpkin, and a Lego person were some of my favorites to try to figure out.  

4. What book most reminds you of the autumn? Movie? 

The Hound of the Baskervilles by A. Conan Doyle is set in October, and it's hands-down my favorite fall read.  I am exceedingly fond of the 1988 version starring Jeremy Brett, and we watch it every October.  Well, most Octobers -- I'm sure we have skipped a year once or twice.  But generally, we cozy up with it sometime in the fall.


5. What is your favourite drink for the season? 

I love hot apple cider.  And cold apple cider.  It's one of the few things I really only drink in autumn.

6. What is one new thing you want to do this autumn? 

I am contemplating making homemade apple butter for the first time.

7. Do you decorate for the autumn? If so, how soon? If not, why? 

I do, a bit.  I hang seasonal wreaths or other decor on the closet door in our foyer, and I made a fall-themed wreath years and years ago to use in autumn.  This year, I pulled all the flowers and things off it and redecorated it with a mix of a few of the old pieces and some new things.  Here's how it turned out:


I used the bits and bobs that were left over from that project to make a triangular wreath-ish thing to go around a whole bunch of battery-operated candles as a centerpiece for our dining room table.  Three of the candles are in tall glass candle holders that my kids decoupaged with autumn leaves they'd collected.  They made those years ago, and I really like how they turned out.  They've lasted so well, too!


I have a few other things I bring out just for Thanksgiving to put on my mantel, but this is the bulk of my autumn decorations.

8. What is your favourite way to celebrate Thanksgiving? 

With my family, either at my house or my brother's house.  I loved celebrating it in Colonial Williamsburg, but now that Dad is gone, I don't really want to do that again.

9. What colour makes you think most of autumn? 

Dark orange.  Orange of all sorts, really -- the only time of year I don't mind the color orange is autumn.

10. Type up a list of ten words or names that encapsulate the season of autumn for you.

Cool
Crisp
Welcome
Change
Creativity
Renewal
Hope
Comfort
Finally
Cozy


I hereby tag:



Here's a clean list of the tag questions for you to copy with ease:

1. If autumn isn't your favourite season, what is? And if autumn is your favourite season, why? 
2. What is your favourite thing that you do each autumn? 
3. What are a couple of your favourite autumn memories? 
4. What book most reminds you of the autumn? Movie? 
5. What is your favourite drink for the season? 
6. What is one new thing you want to do this autumn? 
7. Do you decorate for the autumn? If so, how soon? If not, why? 
8. What is your favourite way to celebrate Thanksgiving? 
9. What colour makes you think most of autumn? 
10. Type up a list of ten words or names that encapsulate the season of autumn for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are always on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)