Saturday, July 01, 2023

"How to Marry a Millionaire" (1953)


Three beautiful models, Loco (Betty Grable), Schatze (Lauren Bacall), and Pola (Marilyn Monroe), are tired of dating losers and deadbeats who are cute or fun, but can't support a wife in style.  They concoct a fool-proof plan to land wealthy and wonderful husbands: pool all their money and rent a swanky place in Manhattan with an address that will attract rich men.  


That makes them sound like mercenary gold-diggers, I know.  And, that's what they want to be.  But all three are actually nice, kind, lovely girls who have convinced themselves that rich men are the best men, and that they deserve the best men.  So, they sublet a penthouse, pawn most of its furniture to pay for really nice clothes, and set out to catch some rich husbands.


Loco catches a grim businessman (Fred Clark) who invites her to a weekend at his lodge... which she thinks means a big meeting of some club like the Elks, but turns out to be his remote hunting lodge in New England.  Things go from bad to worse, as it turns out he's married, and Loco has to find a way to disentangle herself from the would-be Lothario.  In the process, she falls for a forest ranger (Rory Calhoun) even though he's not rich.


Schatze sets her sights on a wealthy widower (William Powell) and seems to have the best chances of getting married to a millionaire... but there's this scruffy guy (Cameron Mitchell) who keeps crossing her path.  She really likes him, but he seems to have no job or prospects, so she insists she can't fall for him.


Pola has such bad eyesight, she has to wear very thick glasses, but she thinks they make her look ugly, so she refuses to wear them when men are around.  Instead, she fumbles her way through life, running into things and wondering what the men she dates actually look like.  She gets involved with a man who says he's an oil tycoon (Alexander D'Arcy), but is actually a fraud, and it's only a lucky accident that keeps her out of his clutches and lets her meet a man on the run from the IRS (David Wayne) who turns out to be her thick-glasses-wearing soulmate.


By the end of the movie, Loco, Schatze, and Pola have all found husbands, some rich and some not, but all good men who love them.  The storyline could have devolved into tawdry or mean humor, but it stays frothy and light instead.  I watched this with my kids a few months ago, and they all laughed a good deal over it.


If you love 1950s fashion and style, this movie is an absolute visual feast.  The girls all have amazing costumes and the sets are a treat.  

Is this movie family friendly?  Mostly.  That married guy does take Pola off to his hunting lodge for a weekend alone, which she is scandalized to discover -- she refuses to sleep with him, but there's some dialog in that part especially that some people might find too risqué for kids.  It's all very oblique, so I didn't have a problem showing the movie to my own kids (and, in fact, I think it's good for tween/teen girls to know that it is not okay for a guy to try to trick a girl into being alone with him, and that it IS okay for the girl to object and do what she can to stay away from him).


This review is my contribution to the Betty Grable Blogathon hosted this weekend by Taking Up Room.

10 comments:

  1. I had to look up the word "Schatze," because I was sure it meant something important, but couldn't remember what. Turns out it literally means "treasure," but is often used for "sweetheart."

    Now I'm curious, do they reference the meaning of her name in the movie? Is it supposed to be a cute nickname, or just "that's my actual name" a la Ponyboy Curtis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I think that Schatze and Loco are nicknames, one meaning "sweetheart" and one meaning "crazy," and I'm not sure about Pola, as that IS a first name, but can also be a nickname for a Polish woman. So I kind of assume these are all their nicknames, but that they have real names they just don't use much. The names really aren't explained at all in the film.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your write-up, Rachel -- I feel like I've never sat down and watched this movie from start to finish, but that I've seen the whole thing in bits and pieces. In any event, your post makes me want to see it again, and share it with my own daughters, who are about a decade older than yours. I think they'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! It's a fun one for a girls movie night, for sure :-) Hope your daughters enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this movie, and Betty Grable is fabulous as Loco, the girl who's "awful clever with a quarter". I'm glad to hear your kids really enjoyed this film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, it really is a fun frolic, isn't it? So many good lines!

      Delete
  4. What a fun article! The last time I saw this film was some time ago, but your article really made me want to re-visit it. I have the feeling I'll appreciate it more than the previous times I watched it. Plus, I have the DVD at home, so I have no excuses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginie! I went far too long between rewatches myself -- I watched it the first time in college, then didn't watch it again for 20 years :-o But now I've seen it twice in just a few months :-D Enjoy it when you get to it!

      Delete
  5. This is great! I've seen bits of "Millionaire," but not the whole thing, and now I'm sold. Thanks again for joining the blogathon, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Rebecca! Definitely try to see the whole movie some time -- it is a bubbly delight.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)