Thursday, October 08, 2026

Movie Music: Carter Burwell's "Conspiracy Theory" (1997)

I know it's been ages since I shared a movie soundtrack review, so it's high time I discuss another beloved soundtrack with you! Today, it's Carter Burwell's score for Conspiracy Theory (1997). This is one of those albums that I have listened to so often, it's ingrained in my brain. I don't actually listen to it that often anymore because I can pull up my favorite cues in my memory and listen to them there. 

I'll start with the main theme, listed as "Conspiracy Theory" on the soundtrack. It gives you a great feel for what the movie is like: relatively cheerful, with a lot of energy. The part that kicks in at 1:48 is my favorite -- that theme makes my consciousness soar. 


That theme gets repeated in the score's final cue, "Riding," beginning right around 2:00. I actually bought this score just for that theme, and I recorded just that thirty seconds or so on a cassette tape (yes, I am that old) over and over and over and over so I could listen to only it. The rest of this track is nice too, beginning with a gentle tenderness that builds to a sort of peaceful anticipation, then explodes with joy. But those trumpets are what really hit my sweet spots.


I also quite like "Turning into a Jerry" because of how it opens with a sweet simplicity, then switches to a nice jazz beat with an off-kilter and slightly menacing melody played over it. It's short and tantalizing and leaves me wanting a bit more. It's also a great musical depiction of the main character, Jerry Fletcher, who is also sweet, off-kilter, and slightly menacing. 


You can find the whole soundtrack's playlist here on YouTube. 

(This review originally appeared here at J and J Productions on September 25, 2015.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are always on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)