Monday, August 31, 2026

Announcing Back in Black: Another Film Noir Blogathon

Quiggy of The Midnite Drive-In and I are both fans of film noir.  You know, the movie "genre" revolving around crimes, cynicism, and the people who live in shadow.  I say "genre" in quotation marks because the term film noir, while coined in the 1940s, was not widely associated with this style of film until the 1970s.  People can't even agree all the time on which specific films are noir.  Like art, you know it when you see it, basically.  But, if you want more of a definition, Wikipedia has a pretty good overview of the genre.


Anyway!  Quiggy and I love film noir.  So, we're going to celebrate it with a two-day blogathon this fall!  On October 31 and November 1, to be exact.  I always feel like Halloween is a particularly suitable day to watch noir, and many cinephiles celebrate the genre for a whole month in "Noirvember."  So why not unite the two with this event?


With this blogathon, we are celebrating all film noir, whether it's classic noir, neo-noir, comedy-noir, future/sci-fi/tech-noir, or even cowboy/rural-noir.  If you want some ideas of where to start, here is an expansive list of classic noir titles. If you're not sure if your choice counts as film noir or not, feel free to ask me or Quiggy in the comments on our announcement posts.


Because there are sooooo many noir movies to choose from, we are not accepting duplicates for full reviews.  However, if someone reviews, say, The Big Sleep (1946), and you want to do a post collecting up all the Philip Marlowe movies you've seen, or a list of your favorite Humphrey Bogart noirs, those would be valid options of ways to still talk about that film without doing a review solely of it.


All posts for this event should be new, not ones you wrote and posted previously.  You may contribute more than one post!  Once you know what you want to contribute, let us know via a comment either on this post or on Quiggy's post.  And don't forget to use one of our buttons on your own blog to let people know about the event, with a link back to one of our posts -- and use the buttons in your review, too!


To sum up, the rules are: 
  1.  Choose your movie(s) or topic(s) and let us know of your choice(s). 
  2.  Promote this blogathon on your blog. 
  3.  Publish your post during the event and let us know when it is live.
  4.  Above all, have fun!


The Roster

The Midnite Drive-In -- reviews of Out of the Past (1947), D.O.A. (1988), The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
Hamlette's Soliloquy -- review of The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
+ Make Mine Film Noir -- review of Murder, My Sweet (1944)
+ You!

4 comments:

  1. Ready to rock this. Thanks for co-hosting. Don't forget I also claimed 1947 Out of the Past for a classic noir choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiggy, my pleasure! And oops, I'll add that one right now.

      Delete
  2. I would love to join your blogathon. I already left a comment about this on your co-host's blog, too. How about Murder, My Sweet (1944)? Many thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice, Marianne! I look forward to reading your thoughts on that one.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are always on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)