Friday, May 26, 2023

Stubborn Romance

Classic Hollywood boasted quite a few actor-actress duos that had such good chemistry, studio execs paired them again and again. Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, Rock Hudson and Doris Day come to mind. But of all the classic on-screen matches, my favorite remains John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara. 


Now, this might have something to do with the fact that John Wayne is my favorite actor, and Maureen O’Hara is my favorite actress. So having them together onscreen would be a special treat for me even if they didn’t display both great chemistry and a wonderful camaraderie. 

John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara both excelled at playing strong-willed, strong-minded characters who did not back down from a fight, who had to be definitively won, not simply wooed. In real life, they were good friends, which I find endearing. I suppose it’s that real-life friendship that made them appear so natural together onscreen. 

In a 1974 speech, John Wayne joked, “I’ve been in more battles than Napoleon and more wars than Germany. I’ve captured Bataan, Corregidor, Fort Apache, and Maureen O’Hara.”* That’s part of what fascinates me—their characters were always almost military opponents as much as lovers. There’s a sense that their characters are excited to have found a worthy opponent at last, and it’s that worthiness that attracts them to each other, even though they spend more time battling than romancing. 

Wayne and O’Hara played opposite each other five times in just over twenty years, and I’d like to recap each of those films for you here. 


In Rio Grande (1950), hard-nosed Cavalry officer Kirby Yorke is tasked with training a bunch of raw recruits, including his son, whom he hasn’t seen in many years. Yorke’s estranged wife Kathleen arrives to take their son away again because she thinks Yorke is being too hard on him. Kirby and Kathleen bicker and fight and slowly fall in love again despite an Indian uprising, a court-martial, and their own proud and stubborn natures. 


In The Quiet Man (1952), ex-prize fighter Sean Thornton returns to his ancestral homeland of Ireland to retire in peace. He soon falls in love with Mary Kate Danaher and marries her, despite the objections of her boorish brother. But when Sean refuses to fight her brother over an insult, Mary Kate declares he’s not a real man after all and leaves him because she doesn’t know about the secrets he’d fled from back in America. 


The Wings of Eagles (1957) tells the true story of Navy pilot Frank ‘Spig’ Wead, who puts aviation above his marriage to Min, causing his personal life to decline until an accident paralyzes him, and he has to learn to live without the things he thought defined him. 


McLintock! (1963) is a loose adaptation of The Taming of the Shrew. Cattle baron G.W. McLintock has his hands full trying to deal with a headstrong daughter, his estranged wife, farmers, Indians, and dishonest government officials. He tries to keep everyone happy and peaceful, with comic results. 


And in Big Jake (1971), Jacob McCandles returns home after many years at the request of his estranged wife, who needs him to help rescue their kidnapped grandson. 

I’ve seen both Wayne and O’Hara in many, many movies, opposite many different stars. And, while they could convincingly play love stories opposite others, their five movies together possess a special zing the others lack. I think it goes back to them finally having truly worth opponents, someone who forces them to be at their best in conversation, romance, argument, and everything in between. The actors probably enjoyed acting opposite someone who would go toe-to-toe with them in any scene, the competition forcing them to utilize all their talents instead of falling into predictable or routine acting. 

The question, then, is why am I so entranced by this pair of stars playing generally cross lovers? I think a lot of it is because I am stubborn and strong-willed, so I enjoy seeing characters similar to myself find someone who can challenge them and who enjoys matching wits and wills with them. Also, their real-life friendship shines through in these performances, making their characters’ affection for each other feel warm and genuine even when they’re disagreeing. 

Of the five films John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara co-starred in, my favorite is definitely The Quiet Man. It has the happiest ending for their characters as a couple, and the finest scenes between them overall as well. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys an unusual love story in a charming setting.

*p. 139, Duke in His Own Words, by Editors of the Official John Wayne Magazine. Media Lab Books: NY, 2015.


(This post originally appeared in the January/February 2016 issue of Femnista magazine.)


It's John Wayne's birthday today, so I thought it was the perfect time to repost this Femnista article :-)  Happy birthday, Duke!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I'm a stubborn person myself, but I usually dislike the "sparring" romance dynamic between two stubborn characters because I can't see it working out for me. I prefer people who help me feel like it's safe to relax my stubbornness and let down my guard once in a while.

    HOWEVER, I'm writing a very charged, enemies-to-lovers romance right now in my Green Room time travel series, so that's a Thing ;)

    I was actually looking at clips of The Quiet Man the other day because I wanted to hear their version of "The Wild Colonial Boy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I think what I like about the Wayne/O'Hara pairings is that they both have this sort of "At last! A foe worthy of my steel!" attitude. Like, they relish finding someone who can stand toe-to-toe with them. Interestingly, in Rio Grande and Big Jake, their characters start the film as estranged spouses, but then rediscover why they liked each other, and McLintock! has some of that too. And The Quiet Man is a VERY unusual romance. The only one of these five where they play a consistently happy couple is Wings of Eagles, where they are drawing strength from each other pretty much the whole time.

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)