Thursday, February 26, 2009

"Cinderella" (1957) -- Initial Thoughts

Did you know Julie Andrews did Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella for TV in 1957? Yeah, me either, until I found it on DVD at the library last Saturday.

It's okay. They basically did it as a stage play and filmed it -- those were the early days of television, you know. So it felt like early Masterpiece Theater in a way. Julie Andrews was luminous, of course, but the rest of the production was... okay. I don't mind having spent part of my life watching it, but I won't seek it out again.

Oddly, several of the songs seemed quite familiar, so I must have heard them on The Lawrence Welk Show or some Best of Broadway cd or something.

In random Julie Andrews news, I see she has a new movie called Tooth Fairy due out sometime this year that also stars... Dwayne Johnson! Oh man, I am so there. Can you imagine those two squaring off? Priceless!

3 comments:

  1. That does seem like an unlikely pair. But ya gotta luv Dwayne Johnson....Ahhh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should probably rent this at some point just for Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Matthew would probably be entranced.

    And Lerin, I'm shocked! You like Dwayne Johnson? :-D

    ReplyDelete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)