Tuesday, November 12, 2002

FIVE MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Five days until MB and ED and I go to the Creed concert!!! It'll be mine and MB's second (we went to one in August) and ED's first. I'm already getting bouncy! I've been listening to my Creed cds all morning here at work. I've decided to post lyrics to my favorite Creed songs here for the next few days in celebration. Here's a song that, while it's never been one of my ten favorite Creed songs, struck me this morning as being particularly poignant. It's from their first album, "My Own Prison". They played it in August, and I hope they'll play it again this time, because thousands of rock fans crying "all we want is unity" is pretty awesome.
Plus, I really like how it applies to issues like racism. If we could just stop harping on differences, setting one person above another because they're in the minority or majority, maybe we'd get somewhere. By giving any group special privileges, we set them up as targets for the other groups we are slighting. If we could just treat people as individuals instead of members of a particular race, religion, or political party, then we could have a little more peace. People would get praised or punished on the basis of their own merits and actions, not on whether they have a stronger lobby in Washington or more supporters in Hollywood. Ahh, yes, I am an idealist. And I like being an idealist.

"One"

Affirmative may be justified
Take from one give to another
The goal is to be unified
Take my hand be my brother
The payment silenced the masses
Sanctified by oppression
Unity took a back seat
Sliding further in regression
One
The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless
Want to change the world
I feel violent I feel alone
Don't try and change my mind
Society blind by color
Why hold down one to raise another
Discrimination now on both sides
Seeds of hate blossom further
The world is heading for mutiny
When all we want is unity
We may rise and fall, but in the end
We meet our fate together
One
The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless
Want to change the world
I feel violent I feel alone
Don't try and change my mind

Written by Tremonti/Stapp - Published by Tremonti/Stapp Music (Adm. by Dwight Frye Music, Inc.) / Dwight Frye Music, Inc. (BMI)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)