Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"The Band Wagon" (1953) -- Initial Thoughts

Our library here in our new homecity has a whole bunch of musicals I've never seen, so I'm trying to get one new one each week. Last week, I got Bells are Ringing, a zany romp starring Dean Martin as a playwright with writer's block and Judy Holliday as a telephone answerer who loves to help her answering service's clients out of jams (and gets into plenty herself in the process). I especially liked a scene where Dino sings this little song about trying to psyche himself up to write. It looked all casual and natural, like his singing style.

This week, I got Band Wagon. I think I like Fred Astaire better middle-aged like this rather than really young like in Top Hat. He seems more comfy in his own skin or something. This was a way cool musical, with lots of songs I know and some awesome choreography by Michael Kidd. Plus, Cyd Charisse -- she's been one of my faves ever since I first saw Brigadoon. Oh, and Oscar Levant, he's always fun too. And I was never entirely sure how it would end up, which is rare for a musical. Usually you feel sure girl and guy will get together no matter what.

AND Band Wagon has this awesome "Murder Jazz" sequence that was like a musical spoof of film noir. How can I not love that?

Both of these were by Betty Comden and Adolph Green (writers of Singin' in the Rain, On the Town, Auntie Mame, and It's Always Fair Weather), and both had songs I know because Bobby Darin sang them. I think I'll try to find the rest of the musicals this duo wrote, because all the ones I've seen are fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)