Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Tonight, after Cowboy went to work, I dropped by this little place here in Ruralsburg called the Media Warehouse. I hadn't been in there in years, as it's kind of a dangerous place for me to go -- they sell things I really love to buy. Like vinyl. And used movies. But now they also rent movies, and I wanted to see Gridiron Gang, so I thought I'd see if they had it there instead of getting it from the bigger rental place uptown.

I left thirty-five minutes later having rented a couple of movies and purchased only one record.

A Bobby Darin record.

One that contains twelve songs, only two of which I have ever heard before. And I only paid $12 for it! How divine!

This is number four in my collection of Bobby on vinyl. Two others I bought at the same establishment when we first moved here (before I even owned a working record player!), and one my mom found for me at a yard sale a year or so ago. But those three mostly had songs I already have on my 21 Bobby Darin CDs. Now I'm simply drowning in new Bobby music!

Well, maybe not drowning, but certainly basking. I've only listened to one side of the album, lying on the couch with my eyes closed and my head close to one of the speakers, letting the Bobbyness wash over me and savoring every snap of his fingers. I'm saving the other side for later. Can't gorge myself on the rare delicacy of new Bobby music all at once.

Oh yeah, Gridiron Gang was okay. I'm not into football at all, so mostly I wanted to see it cuz it stars Dwayne Johnson (who, you'll notice, is now getting billed as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, not as simply The Rock). I liked it about as well as Rudy (although Rudy was a better movie, probably), but not nearly as well as that most wonderful of football movies, Remember the Titans.

4 comments:

  1. Why would that tiny place have that in stock? They don't even have Final Fantasy XI.

    Er, are you referring to the movie I rented or to the Bobby album I bought? They have quite a few good old records -- like I said, I bought 2 Bobby records there back when we first moved here. I've gotten several other worthy albums there too.

    As for the movies they have for rent, they don't have the huge variety that VV has, but they seem to have more indie films and older titles that VV won't carry. AND they have the Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection, which I am totally going to go rent either next week or the week after :-D Even the magnificent library system doesn't have THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My impression of Media Warehouse was they were basically a physical location you could go to to order stuff off their website catalog.

    Oh. Hmm. Didn't know that was a service they provided.

    I would think even a big old Tower Records type store wouldn't have a lot of Bobby Darin.

    He's more popular than you might think. I can usually find at least one cd of his stuff in any music store. Although I'm really mad at my Wal-Mart cuz they don't carry any of his stuff right now and they used to carry like four different compilation cds. All of which I already had, but it felt good to check his section and see him represented.

    But his vinyl isn't something you can usually pick up in thrift stores or garage sales (except my mom's one lucky break). Either his fans are still hanging on to them cuz they still love him, or they realize he's worth more than a quarter and sell him to a place like the MW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO glad you have a working record player! Are you loving it? Was it a good trade! Are you liking any song particularly well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, adore my working record player -- it was definitely a good trade for our other little sound system!

    As for liking any song particularly well, I'm assuming you mean on the new Bobby album I got. I've still only listened to the first side -- I'm saving the second side until probably tomorrow.

    But on that first side, I really like this song "Reverend Mr. Black" because it's waaaaaaay different than Bobby's other stuff. It's kind of a spoken ballad, like "Ringo" by Lorne Greene or "Big John" by Johnny Cash.

    I'm very excited to listen to side 2, though, because it has "Rhythm of the Rain" on it, and that's one of my favorite oldies anyway, so I can't wait to hear what Bobby does with it!

    ReplyDelete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)